Idea for octo bungee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frozenwarp

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok first of i'm new to diving and have not yet done any tech diving of any kind however i had a thought the other day about using a swimming goggles strap (im a swimming instructor) for a bungie

1. they are elastic so will stretch well, relitevily similar to surgical tubing

2. If u get the flat kind as are fairly common and should therefore be able to be threaded through the zip tie around mouthpiece and when tightened should be very secure

3. If u are worried about these not being secure enough u could use the small thred through clip things that come with the strap. eg thread through the clip once then around the zip tie then back through the clip

This should make a very neat and streamline bungee. (and thats what all u tech guys .. and gals seem to be about)

Anyway just a thought and i would appreciated any feedback and thought u have about this idea

Regular bungie for my necklace costs me about $0.12 and takes about 30 seconds to make. What would make your solution better?

PerroneFord:
Regular bungie for my necklace costs me about $0.12 and takes about 30 seconds to make. What would make your solution better?

ok fair enough where i live i cant get f all for 12c and for a couple bucks my idea seems ok

as i said its just an idea

frozenwarp:
ok fair enough where i live i cant get f all for 12c and for a couple bucks my idea seems ok

as i said its just an idea

Not slamming your idea, just trying to undestand why you think a different solution is needed. If the materials are expensive where you are, then it makes perfect sense. I just can't imagine that a piece of bungie cord would be very expensive anywhere in a modern area.

It's not that the materials are that expensive its just that i have the goggle strap and it would work well? Just a thought!

I was also reading some other posts about people trying to attach the bungie to the occy and thought due to the strap being flat made it extremely easy and neat.

Anyway as i said i was curious on people's thoughts and it seems not be a popular idea so there you go i now know

thanks for the replies,
Brad

Do you use your regs in this kind of configuration? And have you tried what you are talking about? I'd like to see how you have yours configured.

On my backup reg, I just have a piece of bungie, with two knots on the ends. It's cinched down under the zip tie that holds the mouthpiece onto the regulator. Do you do yours the same way?

I don't think something is worse just because it isn't obviously better. I have 2 surgical tubing necklaces which i've had for years.

Getting away from the material for a second, a saw an interesting technique last summer. let me preface this with i) my backup is for me, i donate my prmary if need be and ii) this only works for traditional style 2nd stages with integrated exhaust ports.

To make a long story even longer, the idea is to thread the bungee [or whatever] through the exhaust port rather than stretching a loop over the mouthpiece. One concern would be how it hangs but it's certainly a simple appoach.

To make a long story even longer, the idea is to thread the bungee [or whatever] through the exhaust port rather than stretching a loop over the mouthpiece. One concern would be how it hangs but it's certainly a simple appoach.

You don't think the plastic edges would wear on the tubing or bungie over time? I'm just asking. And trying to visualize this...

PerroneFord:
You don't think the plastic edges would wear on the tubing or bungie over time? I'm just asking. And trying to visualize this...

I'm not sure, i never tried it but a second stage isn't all that heavy so i don't think wear would be a big issue. I'm not sure it's even a good idea.

The context in which this came up was my necklace got pulled off in a gear reshuffle on a dive boat. A mate then pointed out that his single loop through the exhaust ports. I suppose the flip side question would be, if something is pulling on your reg hard enough to dislodge a properly fitting necklace, is it really better to use the reg body/exhaust ports to restrain it?

Back
Top Bottom