IDC...Toronto Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I'd like to do my Padi IDC in the TO area next summer. I don't want to do the weekend thing but would like the 10 days in a row course.

Any suggestions? I'm visiting my sister but have never dove in Canada before so am a bit clueless as to what's the word on the street for shops, etc.

Also, just for some fun diving. Anyone that meets up and goes right near TO on weeknights or whatever? Or does weekend trips further afield? I have all my own gear, except tanks and am a Padi divemaster.

I am writing to give everyone an update regarding the upcoming Toronto Spring 2010 PADI Instructor Development Course. The schedule for this upcoming IDC is out, and will commence on May 8th 2010 Saturday. Detail of the schedule is posted, please feel free to review it online at calendar
This upcoming IDC will follow the new PADI IDC curriculum, and it is a lot more excited compare with the old one. Due to the introduction of this new curriculum, I am preparing some attractive one-time promotion for this IDC.
I will be running two orientation sessions in the coming week:
March 31st 2010 Wednesday
6:30 pm to 8:30 pm
Aquaquest Diving
170 Reach Street Unit D Uxbridge Ontario
905-862-3608
and
April 1st 2010 Thursday
6:30pm to 8:30pm
My Dive Center
7300 Victoria Park Avenue Unit F Markham Ontario
905-707-5597

Please feel free to pass this information to your friends who might want to join us to become a PADI instructor. During these two sessions, I will brief everyone the cost of the IDC program; promotion details and what to expect during the IDC. I will also be available to answer any question you might have. Looking forward seeing you all at the orientation. For any question, please contact myself via email: edchan@smeddivers.com or I can be reached at 416-839-1839

jlb,

I've met Norbert. I'd take the course from him. It is a good shop and he is a very knowledgeable guy. The Greater Toronto Area (GTA) is fairly large. There isn't a lot inside Toronto. Norbert's shop is in Richmond Hill (north east of downtown Toronto).

I'm getting my DM right now through Happy Divers Den out in Mississauga. They are pretty laid back and in no rush which I kind of like. If you are looking for something more structured and want to get it done in a short period of time (i.e. not part time for a year) then Norbert's shop is the route to go.

Darrell

Hi Jib,
I'm running an IDC in May at AquaSub Scuba Diving Centre in Richmond Hill (as mentioned above). I have both a multiple weekend format and a consecutive days format. The consecutive one runs May 19-23rd with the orientation before hand on the 6th. If you'd like to discuss your options and what you will be doing you can contact me directly at jessica.templin@gmail.com or call the shop at 905-883-3483

Cheers,
Jessica

How can A full IDC be run in 4 days??

Hi, I'd like to do my Padi IDC in the TO area next summer. I don't want to do the weekend thing but would like the 10 days in a row course.

Any suggestions? I'm visiting my sister but have never dove in Canada before so am a bit clueless as to what's the word on the street for shops, etc.

Also, just for some fun diving. Anyone that meets up and goes right near TO on weeknights or whatever? Or does weekend trips further afield? I have all my own gear, except tanks and am a Padi divemaster.

There is a bunch of divers diving Humber bay on the weekends now, but now as the Ice has gone in Toby and Kingston/Brockville area people tend to go there on weekends, but there will still be many diving and besides some will dive on weekdays. Do you have a dry-suit ? The temperature in the lake will still be in 40-50 range early summer

How can A full IDC be run in 4 days??
PADI released a new revised curriculum for the IDC just this past November at DEMA. With this new curriculum a large portion of the material that used to be covered via long classroom lectures is now done through elearning ahead of time. This has reduced the required days to 5 days. (May 19-23 is 5 days plus the orientation night) It's great since we get to spend more time focusing on the actual teaching process in the classroom, pool and open water.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom