IDC in Thailand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haiko

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I would like to become a dive instructor and thinking about doing it somewhere outside Holland. Thailand would be an option. any thought of doing an IDC in Thailand? Any recomm.? I'm not looking for a "divefactory"... :shakehead:

I have been on the website of Ban's Diving Resort. PADI Diving Instructor Koh Tao / Thailand Opinions about this one?

Thanks, Haiko

I am selling a store credit for Aquanauts Dive Centre, a PADI 5-Star Career Development Center in Pattaya Beach, Thailand. This store credit can be used for dive equipment and training. Aquanauts can take you from a never before diver (or whatever your current level) to an Open Water Scuba Instructor in just a few short months.

This credit IS transferrable and legitimate - if you're in doubt you can confirm this with Aquanauts Dive Centre directly.

The total credit is for 149,449 Thai Baht to be put towards internships, courses, dive trips, study materials or equipment and would be willing to transfer it to you for a lesser rate. Please contact me for further specific details.

I would like to become a dive instructor and thinking about doing it somewhere outside Holland. Thailand would be an option. any thought of doing an IDC in Thailand? Any recomm.? I'm not looking for a "divefactory"... :shakehead:

A few things for you to consider before you decide:
1: Time of year : The Gulf of Thailand (Koh Tao/Samui/Phangan) and the West Coast (Phuket/Krabi/Koh Lanta/Phi-Phi/Khao Lak) have their own "best" dive seasons. Doing your course(s) at the right place and at the right time will give you a better chance of doing your training and "fun" dives at a variety of dive sites.

2: Time you need to finish your course(s): If you have only limited time it's better to do your courses with a well-established Dive Centre with a steady stream of students than with a hut on the beach with the occasional walk-in customer. You get your best DM training dives with real students and a lot about becoming a good DM and/or Instructor is about taking care of, supervising and teaching student divers.
Some shops with few student diver customers may use their DM'rs as "student diver" during your course(s).

3: Visa: I guess you will be arriving in Thailand on a Tourist Visa and this will give you 30 days in The Land of Smiles before you will have to either extend or renew it. Getting a new visa means a "border-run" or "visa-run" and you will have to leave the country for that. Travel time can vary greatly depending on where you are doing your course.

4: Personal preferences: Do you want to stay just on a beach during your course or would you prefer to have the beach and a whole lot of other options as well?
Believe it or not but it does make a difference after a couple of weeks...

5: With who: Succesfull IDC/CDC Dive Centres are not necessarily "factories" even if they seem to have so many students. A lot of personal attention is given to IDC candidates by most Course Directors and most IDC/CDC Dive Centres I know truly do offer good and professional courses. Remember that successful Dive Centres are mostly so successful because they do a proper job! I recommend you do a bit of Googling, contact a few IDC Centres and wait for their responses. If they reply to your messages promptly, are happy to answer all your questions, are polite and give you " a good feeling" than that may be the shop for you!

:D

Yeah, the language edge may be a big factor. :)

I agree with Bowmouth about things to consider. I happen to have completed my IDC with Limbo. You could ask for one of my classmate's email addresses from Limbo as a reference. Richard comes to mind as he is Dutch as well as Ivo. Both are in Holland presently and completed the IE with Limbo as their Course Director. Well maybe not Ivo for a reference... :) just playing.

Good luck wherever you wind up,

Arizona

Here a re a few comments of mine on your post Bowmouth;

A few things for you to consider before you decide:
1: Time of year : The Gulf of Thailand (Koh Tao/Samui/Phangan) and the West Coast (Phuket/Krabi/Koh Lanta/Phi-Phi/Khao Lak) have their own "best" dive seasons. Doing your course(s) at the right place and at the right time will give you a better chance of doing your training and "fun" dives at a variety of dive sites.

Although the advice regarding the seasons makes sense, it almost doesn't apply to an IDC setting, since unfortunately, an IDC is completed almost only in a classroom and Confined water setting, with only two required Open Water dives.
If you want and can afford (time wise) to do a lot of fun diving, than the choice becomes a lot more important.

2: Time you need to finish your course(s): If you have only limited time it's better to do your courses with a well-established Dive Centre with a steady stream of students than with a hut on the beach with the occasional walk-in customer. You get your best DM training dives with real students and a lot about becoming a good DM and/or Instructor is about taking care of, supervising and teaching student divers.
Some shops with few student diver customers may use their DM'rs as "student diver" during your course(s).

Why do you bring in a Divemaster course when somebody enquires about an IDC?
This OP never mentioned a DM course.
You bring up a good point but a moot one for this discussion/enquiry.

3: Visa: I guess you will be arriving in Thailand on a Tourist Visa and this will give you 30 days in The Land of Smiles before you will have to either extend or renew it. Getting a new visa means a "border-run" or "visa-run" and you will have to leave the country for that. Travel time can vary greatly depending on where you are doing your course.

Good point. Most shops that offer IDC's will help their candidates with obtaining student visas. I do offer this service, providing a booking has been made before the start of the course(s).

4: Personal preferences: Do you want to stay just on a beach during your course or would you prefer to have the beach and a whole lot of other options as well?
Believe it or not but it does make a difference after a couple of weeks...

Makes a big difference!

5: With who: Succesfull IDC/CDC Dive Centres are not necessarily "factories" even if they seem to have so many students. A lot of personal attention is given to IDC candidates by most Course Directors and most IDC/CDC Dive Centres I know truly do offer good and professional courses. Remember that successful Dive Centres are mostly so successful because they do a proper job! I recommend you do a bit of Googling, contact a few IDC Centres and wait for their responses. If they reply to your messages promptly, are happy to answer all your questions, are polite and give you " a good feeling" than that may be the shop for you!

Excellent advice! Make sure that you're taught by a Course Dircector and by his IDC Staff! In general, Thai Course Directors are very experienced since they offer IDC's on an ongoing base.

:D

Time of year and DM course were mentioned in my previous post because I cannot determine out of Haiko's avatar details and initial post what his current certification level is. If he is not a certified DM yet it makes a lot more sense to do his courses during the prime season.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom