ID this eel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OttsD

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I saw this eel just off the Big Island of Hawaii. It wasn't very big, maybe a little bit bigger around than my thumb, and maybe a foot and a half long. This was my first experience with an eel this active. I saw it moving across the rocks completely out in the open, and it hid for a little bit when I approached it, but came back out when I backed off, but then hid again. In all I saw it move a total distance of maybe 20ft. Is this normal? I've only encountered eels hiding in the coral.

If only I would have gotten better pictures of it.....

Attachments

• eel.jpg
    eel.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 60
thanks, brah

Saw my first snowflake in a tide pool, 2nd at shore in 8” of water.
They are very docile and do well in captivity without the nasty teeth but blunt to crush crustaceans.
It is most common to see our eels peeking out of coral or just parts of them showing LOL but they do swim and some more than others. The Undulated is what I’ve seen swimming the most often. Evening and night is more common but I’ve followed them around in the daytime. The few Snowflakes I’ve seen were all winding in and out of the coral.

What dive site?

it was actually snorkeling, I don't know the name of the place...I drove, wife navigated.
It was at the end of a flat dirt road, then about a mile or so over lots of rocks to an area that was heated by the volcano.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom