ID help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jokeborn

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I took this photo in the Mindinao off New Smyrna Beach, but I can't identify it. Can anyone help please?

That's a Bearded Fireworm (Hermodice carunculata) commonly called a Bristle Worm. They average 4 - 6 inches with a max of 12 inches. When disturbed they puff-up showing a fine fuzz around the edges. If you touch it the white fibers break off into your skin and cause a painful burning sensation and a very irritating wound.

The sting can be very much worse than just a burning sensation and irritating wound. These animals are dangerous to touch. The sting can cause you to nearly stop breathing. I know a couple of people that have been stung and from the description, if you happen to be allergic at all, you could die from a sting. The symptoms sound like a neurotoxin. They are very interesting creatures, look, but don't touch.

Yup, yummy fireworm.

I recall a photographer from National Geog having his female assistant inadvertently pick one up and pose with it. He tried to brush it out of her hand but she insisted he take a shot. Boy did she regret it a few seconds later!

I knew a guy who was a deckhand in the keys. One was on the anchor line as he was pulling it up and he grabbed it and squeezed before he knew what happened. He had some serious healing to do. I touched one with the back of my finger and it stung and festered but thankfully was not serious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom