Icefit/Dryfit/Polarfit: Temp range and undergarments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RTRski

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi. Did a search both of this forum and the Mares website, and can't seem to find this info (aside from my own question at the end of a thread in Nov 2007 :wink: ). Considering a dry suit and I really don't like the baggy waterproof-sack-with-long-johns-beneath feeling of the typical barrier ones, based on a sample of one during a DUI event, so the more form-fitting DryFit and Icefit caught my eye.

Can anyone (either user or Phil) tell me the recommended temperature range for each, and whether or not they're designed for wearing additional insulating layers as well? I can tell that the 3.5 is thinner than the 4.0, so clearly one is designed for 'warmer' cold water than the other, but don't really know the recommended range and other details. The Mares website doesn't even make it clear to me what the seals are, giving two options 'based on location', but Scubatoys seems to indicate neoprene.

Any other comments, user or mfgrer, about replaceablity of seals, repairability, recommended accessories (hoods, gloves), size and fit, etc. are welcome. FWIW I'm a fairly large male (6' 2", 250ish #, 34 inseam, 38 waist, size 12 feet), and am comfortable in 68 degree water in a Bare 5/4 semi-dry for a 45 minute or so dive, as long as I wear a beanie to cover my bald noggin. I would not be a "frequent" or extreme cold water diver - plan would be to have this permit possible Nor-cal trips (kelp bed), Flower Gardens early spring trips in the Gulf of Mexico when the hammerheads school, and possibly a rare dive or two with my brother in the pacific NW. With all that I'm leaning toward the IceFit, but not sure I even need the step up from the DryFit.

Hi there,

Sorry for not responding sooner, but your question IMO requires a conversation. So, I am offering my service via phone. Drop me a PM and I'll forward my phone #. The challenge is most have different tollerances for cold / heat. I feel without discussing your personal characteristics, it will be challenging to do you justice with a general chart.

I look forward to speaking with you in person.

Best,

Zak

Zak:

Wow, that's way more response than I expected (or deserve, being a 'looky-loo' after all). I guess that means there's no standard markety sort of chart showing overlapping horizontal bars vs. a temperature scale for the 3 suits? :)

I'll pm ya, would welcome the chance to talk since you offered. I'm in the TX (Central US) timezone, if that makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom