Ice Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guys, apologise in advance if this is a stupid question, but is there a reason the hole is cut in a triangle?

mossym:
guys, apologise in advance if this is a stupid question, but is there a reason the hole is cut in a triangle?
We normally dive in three's so each guy has his own corner and you don’t have to share. Hehehehehe Not really.

One reason is it's a shape that is unmistakable from underwater. Another is the ice is easier to handle. It also makes exits easier.

For those that have never dove extremely cold conditions if you get a chance try it. If you are properly suited you will be warmer than diving the tropics.

A big problem is overheating. Sometimes it looks like your suit had a bad leak but it’s sweat.

Ummmmmm, It's looking like you guys are getting just a bit toooooooooooo friendly. :D

Gary D.

i wondered was it because you could move in along the angle of the triangle until you could comfortably pull yourself out.

must try ice diving some day..

Wow I never had the overheating problem that you folks have. In fact I got to like bringing my old canvas tent and my 80,000 BTU heater. We've had some good comfortable weather for ice diving but we've had some darned cold and nasty days too.

We usually have a pretty big group and that means lots of time standing around between dives. Tenders and safety divers obviously can't be in the tent eating chilli with every one else. LOL

While teaching ice diving I've probably done as many as half a dozen or more ice dives in a day and once I did like 5 without ever leaving the water...take two students down, bring em back and pick up two more. While I have the equipment to deal with the conditions being too warm usually isn't a problem except maybe while cutting the hole and preparing the site. Working up a sweat early on just makes things that much colder later on it seems.

The chilli and the occasional fire are the major focus of our ice diving activities and some folks come just for the chilli and are smart enough to stay out of the water. LOL Others pop in for one quick dive, get dry and warm and spend the rest of the day tending the fire and stirring the chilli.

How many times have I mentioned chilli now? Ice diving is a neat thing to try but my fondest memories of it seem to have more to do with the chilli than the ice. In fact, and maybe I'm getting old, but these days I'd rather just get together with some folks for chilli on a winter afternoon and skip all the work of hauling my gear out onto the stupid ice. LOL

By all means, enjoy your ice diving. If I'm ever in the area I'd be happy to stop by to help tend the fire and share your chilli. If you ice dive without chilli I would submit that you are not properly trained and you should see to that definciency immediatly before conducting further ice diving activities...rescue work aside of course.

After all thius ice diving talk, I think I'll ask my wife to cook up a batch of chilli.

Global warming by fanny! we have snow on the ground!

We do it for work and not for fun but it’s fun 90% of the time anyway.

We don’t use the luxury items like icehouse’s, Heaters and Chile. The people that pay our salaries might get a little upset if we did things like that. Taxpayers are so picky these days. :D

Being a small team we keep real busy during an operation and unless it’s around or below zero we have to move in according to our body temp. Getting chilled move faster, getting warm slow down. If you aren’t careful you can overheat and start sweating early which will make you cold later on.

It is a rare day when going under the ice isn’t fun.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom