Ice Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubble Boy once bubbled...
What are your views on Y-lines vs individual lines for buddy pairs???:madelf:

Individual lines will result in a big knot. Y lines can be bad enough but with practice are easily managable. When I teach Ice Diving i use a third branch off the Y which is detachable so that the line can be used by teams of two yet when attached allown me to take two student down.

I prefer to do an ice dive like a cave dive but I can't teach it that way.

Most of my ice diving is to either recover a snowmobile, or the body of the driver. Oh yes and a pickup truck once. (the ice was a little thinner than required for a drive out to the ice hut that day).

For recreational ice dives,
I like 2 lines, one to each diver, plus a buddy line between them.
I like being able to reel/pull in the partner if needed, and I like the reduntant line back to the hole. Polyline is nice because it floats, but you must back weave a loop to a bolt clip (it won't hold aknot properly)
Solid braid nylon is stronger, abrasion resitant and ties easier.

Line management requires training and skill, and a couple of good line tenders.

MikeD

This is a little bit off-topic, since I know nothing about Y-lines, or anything else about ice diving, but it's something I've been interested in. I know that ice diving is diving in an overhead environment, and poses a number of other risks not usually present in recreational diving, so special training in ice-diving is needed before any attempt to do it. Although I probably will not be able to afford the training, gear, or travel required for ice diving any time soon, I was wondering where I might find more information about it. I'd especially like to see some pictures, too. Can any of you ice-divers out there direct me to some good sources of info?

Thanks!
otter-cat

Dont know of any ice diving books off the top of my head. There are some surface ice diving pistures on my web site at sandmscuba.com

No...I think they have regulators to keep guys like me in line. Here is a new equation for those who enjoy math.

Number of MikeFerrara posts = 1/success of the company MikeFerrara works for where 1 = success and 0 = nothing to do

I'll check with the Manitoba Underwater Council. They have pictures from last years ice dive. If they have it in electronic format, I'll post them on this site.

"Real men ice dive in wet suits" :eek:

...can you say "shrinkage"!

otter-cat once bubbled...
This is a little bit off-topic, since I know nothing about Y-lines, or anything else about ice diving, but it's something I've been interested in. I know that ice diving is diving in an overhead environment, and poses a number of other risks not usually present in recreational diving, so special training in ice-diving is needed before any attempt to do it. Although I probably will not be able to afford the training, gear, or travel required for ice diving any time soon, I was wondering where I might find more information about it. I'd especially like to see some pictures, too. Can any of you ice-divers out there direct me to some good sources of info?

Thanks!
otter-cat

Back
Top Bottom