Ice Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We should never flame people for doing stuff in the day.
However, there where people that did not survive the experience. Which is why we have the procedures we do today. Now, knowing what we know today, if you where to do this again, that maybe a different story. :wink:

Yep; commercial divers seldom have a buddy.

But plenty of surface support! When I talk solo I mean alone, the way I solo dive, nobody on shore or in the water. I leave a dive plan on the PC so my wife will know that after a certain time if I'm not back and haven't called I'm not coming back.:shakehead:

Not to hijack the thread, but what are the general accpeted practices of ice diving today?

In addition to fppf's comments: the safety line is twice the distance of the primary divers line. A lost line drill is simple; the diver(s) who have lost their line come to the surface and wait just below the ice. On failure to receive an OK signal from the primary diver, the safety diver(s) goes straight out under the surface for the total distance of his/her line, then swims in a circular manner keeping the line taught until the line snags the lost diver. Piece of cake. :)

Last edited:
In addition to fppf's comments: the safety line is twice the distance of the primary divers line. A lost line drill is simple; the diver(s) who have lost their line come to the surface and wait just below the ice. On failure to receive an OK signal from the primary diver, the safety diver(s) goes straight out under the surface for the total distance of his/her line, then swims in a circular manner keeping the line taught until the line snags the lost diver. Piece of cake. :)
As long as the diver hasn't gone beyond the reach of the safety divers line before noticing their line is gone! I read stories of divers boring a hole in the ice with a knife and sticking their snorkels thru it after losing their lines! Sounded like BS even back then. In NH we had 27" of ice that's a lot of boring and VERY hard breathing:rofl3:

As long as the diver hasn't gone beyond the reach of the safety divers line before noticing their line is gone! I read stories of divers boring a hole in the ice with a knife and sticking their snorkels thru it after losing their lines! Sounded like BS even back then. In NH we had 27" of ice that's a lot of boring and VERY hard breathing:rofl3:

The line tender is suppose to check the diver every minute, so the diver can't drift out of the range of the safety line, unless the diver (and the buddy) are completely inattentive and incompetent.

I've never found this to be a problem ice diving. On ice specialty courses, the divers really appreciate the need for safety and their eyes are always "open" and very attentive. The diver is usually the one that double checks with the tender and 20-30 second intervals are common.

Some of the ice here is massive as well and snorkels are useless. We also shovel long paths (a minimum of 100 feet) from the corners of the hole, so the site is well prepaired before use. This lets light into the depths, which the diver can see. Water clarity is not a problem. :)

In addition to fppf's comments: the safety line is twice the distance of the primary divers line. A lost line drill is simple; the diver(s) who have lost their line ...

It's better to prevent this in the first place. We were using carabiners that could not be opened by hand, the lines we used were 3/4 of an inch so they cannot tear up.

The general accepted practice for ice diving....
2 divers in the water diving, tied to a heavy guide line.
The guide line is tended at all times by surface support and is marked with length
2 standby divers are geared up ready to get wet tied into a second guide line that is longer than the first
The standby divers also have a tender standing by ready to go.
There is then an overall dive officer that does not do anything but supervise and bark orders.

There are other folks that treat an ice dive like a cave dive. However the proponents of the above practice will point out doing a lost line drill under a vast lake covered in ice is impossible.

You guys did not even cut the correct shaped hole :D

+ redundant air source pony doubles or H valve
+ it is suggested to limit the depth by 40-50'
+ full range of après-ski vodka, cognac, hot tea or coffee :)

I was always wondering why they treat it like a cave :) unlike a cave with limited directions under the ice you have virtually unlimited number of directions to travel.

Last edited:
It's better to prevent this in the first place. We were using carabiners that could not be opened by hand, the lines we used were 3/4 of an inch so they cannot tear up.

It still comes down to a knot or splice either if not done right could let you down, or keep you down.:( WOW 3/4" line do you guys need weight belts?:D

Yes, but safety lines are still required, regardless of the kit used. If something can go wrong, it's just a matter of time before it will... :)

Back
Top Bottom