IANTD- Tech Diver vs. Adv. Rec. Trimix Plus???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SetheryJ

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey Everyone,

First off, I've been searching through the forum and I haven't found the answer to this question. If I missed some threads, I'm sorry in advance, and thank you for posting them. That being said, I have a question that is specific to IANTD's coursework. I mean no offense, but I don't care about TDI, GUE, UTD, or any other training agency. This question is specific to IANTDs coursework.

IANTD has two courses, Technical Diver and Advanced Recreational Trimix (Plus). For recreational trimix plus, you need a deep cert., adv. EANX cert, and 30 dives. For the technical diver course you need an advanced EANX cert. and 100 dives. I meet both requirements.

The recreational trimix plus course certifies you to:

This Program is designed to extend the diver’s knowledge in the use of EANx for Sport diving. It further develops diving skills and provides a greater understanding of the EANx concept of diving. It is also intended to supplement the skills of Recreational Trimix Divers. The Program employs EANx mixes from 21% oxygen to a maximum of 1.5 PO2 combined with a Helium content in which case the END will not exceed 100 fsw (30 msw) may be used. The purpose of this program is to qualify divers to dive up to 170 fsw (51 msw) and perform decompression stops required dives.

The technical diver course certifies you to:

This Program is designed to train divers to conduct dives to depths between 100 fsw (30 msw) and, at the instructor’s option, up to 170 fsw (51 msw) using custom blend breathing gas mixtures. To provide greater understanding of custom blend breathing gas mixtures, a complete knowledge of the limits of any EANx mixture, and the use of EANx and oxygen for decompression. The knowledge and skills taught in this program are more than adequate to qualify divers to perform dives outside of training up to 170 fsw (51 msw).

If I'm understanding this correctly, both courses certify you to complete decompression dives to 170 fsw using trimix. I don't have access to the individual coursework or manuals but they seem like they are one in the same. I assume this isn't the case. So, what are the differences between these courses and are there advantages/drawbacks to taking one over the other? For reference on goals/desires (in no particular order), my general path is moving into the technical realm up and to the 200' mark (I'm not chasing depth), venturing into overhead environment (both wreck and cave), and most likely switching over to CCR when I can afford to. I would prefer to complete some coursework and then go diving to gather up experience, as opposed to rushing to complete everything all at once. I enjoy taking a course or so and then reflecting on the material/skills I learned while diving...then rinse and repeat.

Thanks,

Seth

Reactions: OTF
"technical diver" does not include any helium in the mix, its air/nitrox breathing gases only

recreational trimix is the same depth limits but with the ability to use modest normoxic trimix

strongly recommend the recreational trimix - but you should really choose an instructor first, not the agency/course.

Although there's nothing more flash than

IANTD_Logo_small.png

"technical diver" does not include any helium in the mix, its air/nitrox breathing gases only

recreational trimix is the same depth limits but with the ability to use modest normoxic trimix

strongly recommend the recreational trimix - but you should really choose an instructor first, not the agency/course.
Although, an agency that still teaches deep air probably isn’t the best choice around.

Ahhhh! I assumed “gas blends” meant trimix. Easy choice then, thank you so much. I have zero desire to complete deep air dives. I don’t want to open a can of worms, but I can see how this agency’s coursework diverges from others. I’m not sure why anyone teaches deep air anymore, other than cost?

Thanks,

Seth

That's an ancient sticker from ancient times

images

you cheeky naive boys!
I’m not sure why anyone teaches deep air anymore, other than cost?

Ahhhh! I assumed “gas blends” meant trimix. Easy choice then, thank you so much. I have zero desire to complete deep air dives. I don’t want to open a can of worms, but I can see how this agency’s coursework diverges from others. I’m not sure why anyone teaches deep air anymore, other than cost?

Thanks,

Seth
Well ~150ft isnt exactly crazy deep and other agencies have comparable air with nitrox based deco courses. TDI's version is the AN & DP combo. PSIA has their own version and other agencies do too. So I'm not sure what you'd seeing as a divergence, unless you're on the section talking about chakras and moon crystals.

Where are you and why are you specifically focused on IANTD? BTW Most IANTD instructors also teach for another agency.

Well ~150ft isnt exactly crazy deep and other agencies have comparable air with nitrox based deco courses. TDI's version is the AN & DP combo. PSIA has their own version and other agencies do too. So I'm not sure what you'd seeing as a divergence, unless you're on the section talking about chakras and moon crystals.

Where are you and why are you specifically focused on IANTD? BTW Most IANTD instructors also teach for another agency.

Our local tech instructor teaches iantd and we just got through advanced nitrox and he brought up rec trimix. Started doing some research and here we are lol.

Our local tech instructor teaches iantd and we just got through advanced nitrox and he brought up rec trimix. Started doing some research and here we are lol.
OKey dokey
Well I agree recreational trimix is the better choice amongst the potential IANTD next steps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom