I wonder if this weekend will be doable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefGuy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looks like K. Brevis is all set to hit VB. I'm hoping for one more weekend before it gets there...

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060808/NEWS/608080373/1264/NEWS0103

Experts say red tide is moving toward Venice
By KATE SPINNER and GINNY LAROE

STAFF WRITERS

kate.spinner@heraldtribune.com
virginia.laroe@heraldtribune.com

VENICE -- The center of the red tide bloom that made beaches on Manasota Key nearly unbearable to sunbathers last week is migrating north, with reports of fish kills Monday near Venice and Nokomis beaches.

"What were looking at probably is, it's pretty bad from Venice south," said Richard Pierce, director of the Mote Marine Laboratory's Center for Ecotoxicology.

Pierce said low levels of red tide were found Sunday in New Pass, just outside the center's Sarasota headquarters.

Winds this week are blowing from the east, pushing the airborne toxins red tide produces out to sea. When those winds shift toward shore, that's when people complain of scratchy throats and coughing fits.

But while the bloom lingers, the weather forecast for the week should keep the toxin from causing too much inconvenience.

Winds are forecast to blow offshore most of the week, which should keep beachgoers happy during the day.

Evening sea breezes could direct the toxins toward land, however.

People who have asthma should stay away from the beach when red tide is present, health officials say.

Sarasota and Charlotte counties posted an advisory on area beaches last week to warn people of the harmful algae's presence.

Charles Henry, environmental administrator with the Sarasota County Health Department, said his staff took samples off the county's shoreline Monday. The sample results will be posted Wednesday at www.ourgulfenvironment.net.

Pierce said he was not surprised to find low concentrations of red tide in New Pass near Mote Marine. The lab tests the nearby waters daily.

"We know the red tide has been quite severe in Lee County and Charlotte County for the past several weeks and it's been moving very slowly northward," he said.

Pierce said the bloom is moving north because the wind-driven currents in the Gulf of Mexico are also moving north.

While the center of the bloom heads north, it is probably also spreading, Pierce said.

"We really don't have a good picture of how far out it goes because satellite imagery has been obscured by clouds," he said.

Anecdotal reports from Venice Beach over the weekend and samples taken by scientists on Friday also indicate the bloom is moving up the coast, Pierce said.

Reports from Nokomis Beach on Monday show the bloom is continuing to creep north.

When Gina Ballard arrived for work at the North Jetty Fish Camp on Nokomis Beach on Monday, she noticed dead fish floating past the beachfront convenience store.

But the first signs of a fish-killing red tide in that area this year didn't faze her.

"It's nothing compared to last year and the year before," she said while serving customers who seemed seemed not to notice.

Rob Richardson, who was on vacation with his family from Michigan, said he didn't think twice when he saw a dead minnow wash ashore on Nokomis Beach on Monday afternoon. He and his family spent the afternoon on the beach without feeling any noticeable effects of red tide -- something he had never heard of.

Nokomis Beach lifeguard J.P. Marchand said he didn't notice any traces of red tide when he went for a swim Monday morning.

Last night the beach and surf were dotted with corpses, mostly snook and a few baby shark. This morning they have either been floated or carried away. Just one snook within visible range, and one huge carcass floating 100 yards out. If we get the weekend it will be a blessing. From the sound of things we're about to receive a biological wedgie.

IMGP3803B.jpg

I'd estimate this to be about a 6ft carcass. Shark? Tarpon? It drifted out and I could never determine what it was, other than dead.

IMGP3799.jpg

Man, that really sucks.

Thanks for the update.

Ahhhhhhh.. that which drove me from my island paradise is drifting northward! that sucks! I just started enjoying dives up there again and once again man's destruction of the climate has ruined a great place to dive!

So much for that pretty reef we found south of the pier, Jeff!

CBulla:
Ahhhhhhh.. that which drove me from my island paradise is drifting northward! that sucks! I just started enjoying dives up there again and once again man's destruction of the climate has ruined a great place to dive!

So much for that pretty reef we found south of the pier, Jeff!

Red Algea has nothing to do with climate other than it blooms in warmer weather. It has been here since before humans were created, and has circled the globe affecting somewhere every year

There is no weapon more powerful than a phrase. It can cleave any group of people, of any size (including one) more or less straight down the middle.

Whether the tide is fed by mankind, the Gods or a little of both, I do not know for sure. Even that knowledge would not prove that nature doesn't love commerce, or that mankind does not poop overtly in paradise.

Like politics, the Red Tide will always be "local." And nothing ends diving or debate quicker than dead fish and brown foam.

CoolTech:
Red Algea has nothing to do with climate other than it blooms in warmer weather. It has been here since before humans were created, and has circled the globe affecting somewhere every year

:) I'm aware of what the K.brevis feeds on. Naturally it should occur every 2-3 years, I rarely remember it blooming more than that as I grew up on the water here in Ft Myers. What I do see is that every year for the last 5-6 years we've had an outbreak that lasts several months and covers a huge area vs. a roaming cloud that eventually disappates after a few weeks and is done. Ironically thats the same amount of time as the large housing boom in SWFL, and with this housing boom has been a huge influx of golf courses and yards which are replacing the natural habitat.

Jeff can back me on this, but I've been saying it for years. It's nitrogen run off in fertilizers that are spawning the blooms. It happens natuarally sure enough, but the blooms are larger and more annihilating to marine life now than I ever remember them being.

It helps lend some cred to a guy like me when an article like this gets printed:
http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060716/NEWS/607160508/1006/SPORTS

Sometimes you have to be willing to be unpopular to identify the real root of the problem.

I know that red tide occurs naturally, but I also have a firm belief that the activites on this coast have been feeding the abnormally frequent red tide blooms.

When I was growing up, my parents had a house on Palm island. We used to go there every weekend, and rarely had to worry about red tide. Now, it's not even an if. You've got to hurry and get your diving in before the bloom occurs.

One thing that I noticed this year was that just two weeks ago, there was a sudden and extensive bloom of seaweed right over the tooth beds. That requires nutrients. Now there's red tide. It may be a cooincidence, but it does make me curious. I've only been diving at Venice beach for 3 years, and not made any formal study of it, but I do wonder if there's a correlation here.

Colin, can you post the text of the article here, you have to be a member to read it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom