I was cleared to dive today.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mahhz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I visited the Ear/Nose/Throat Doc today for a followup of the visit I had with my General Practice Doc I had last week.

For those who don't visit the Diving Medecine forum, I was at CSSP on the 24th and 25th, and had a severe sinus squeeze and a ruptured eardrum.

Anyways, the ENT Doc looked at my eardrum and did a pressure test on it, and it's all healed up. The inflammation and swelling that I had last week (which was treated with antibiotic eardrops, oral antibiotics, prescription sudafed, and some nice pain killers) has completely dissappeared.

BUT...............

He said that I have substantial risk of this happening again, he beleives that it was caused by a deviated septum that he found. The only thing that I think that may have caused that was when I was a kid, I fell flat on my face on some ice. So he's suggesting that I have surgery to have it corrected before I do anymore diving.....although medically, he did clear me to resume diving.

So there you have it, for all the people that I met that weekend that wanted to know the outcome.

Yes Kenny, I can't wait to actually get some real diving in with you all either!

I also wanted to add.....If anything like this happens to any of you all.....DO NOT hesitate to go to the doctor, go as soon as possible. I beleive my quick response and quick treatment is what helped me heal in less than 2 weeks. I think if I would have put it off any, it would have developed into some serious infections, and would have increased my recovery time substantially.

This is great news Jeff!!

Mahhz:
He said that I have substantial risk of this happening again, he beleives that it was caused by a deviated septum that he found. The only thing that I think that may have caused that was when I was a kid, I fell flat on my face on some ice. So he's suggesting that I have surgery to have it corrected before I do anymore diving.....although medically, he did clear me to resume diving.

Interesting. I too have a deviated septum. I thought it just meant my nose was crooked from taking a hockey stick to the face as a child. So far no issues with diving but I will pay closer attention.

Glad you've got the go-ahead from the doc.

Back
Top Bottom