I was attacked by a GW shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Bill. I saw a mention of this on Facebook and was hoping more details would come out.

Holy cow, we dove the Metridium Fields that morning!! It was glassy calm and absolutely spectacular on the surface but viz was a crappy brown 10ft once you got below 15fsw. There were a lot of small boats and kayakers out around noon.

I've been circled by a great white while kayak fishing in Half Moon Bay and, as @drbill mentioned, I'm more concerned about being on the surface than when I am underwater on SCUBA. All the metal we wear and bubbles we blow pretty much tells the sharks we're not food.
Freediving is the exact opposite end of the spectrum - you look exactly like food. I had a spearo buddy get followed around in Mendocino last year. The bleeding fish on his stringer probably didn't help either.

Dove there Saturday with a class and was out around 1:00 but was down there working on some equipment around that time and didn't see anything going on. Dove Macabee Beach on Sunday and didn't hear any chatter about it?

I was at Breakwater until about 5pm on Saturday and heard/saw nothing. But maybe I left earlier than I thought. We did a night dive from one of the local dive boats on Saturday and I guess they hadn't heard anything about it.
Like elgoog, I was also diving there on Sunday. There were a lot of divers out. Doesn't the Coast Guard at least put out a notice at the beach for an incident like that? Should they? I wonder how many divers would've gone in if they'd known. (I probably would have, I mean what are the odds of that happening 2 days in a row?)

Not sure why I found this so funny, but I just shot coffee out of my nose.
I just returned from southern Baja Mexico. Did a whale shark/sea lion tour out of La Paz. Two days prior (Saturday) to when I took that tour, they came across orcas and showed me the video of people jumping into the water to swim with them. I'm so incredibly jealous!

I just returned from southern Baja Mexico. Did a whale shark/sea lion tour out of La Paz. Two days prior (Saturday) to when I took that tour, they came across orcas and showed me the video of people jumping into the water to swim with them. I'm so incredibly jealous!

Swimming with orcas sounds pretty stupid to me. Not that I have researched it carefully or anything.

- Bill

Swimming with orcas sounds pretty stupid to me. Not that I have researched it carefully or anything.

- Bill

I guess you are not familiar with Dr. Ingrid Visser or basic facts that no orca in the wild has attacked a human (there has been a case of it stealing a goody bag of someone spearfishing, but that doesn't qualify as an attack in my book).

Hopefully if you decide to educate yourself, you can see your paranoia is meritless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom