i want to become a commercial diver, whats the current status of the industry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did my commercial course here in Toronto at CUTC in 1978 .. I didn't do much with it , jobs weren't easy then..... its only got worse now, I know of 4 dives from the Seneca commercial course that cant find jobs ...their asking me for jobs at my facility ... so be sure if you want that profession, I too say try the navy first it would be a better career path for now and latter

I worked in the GOM for a few years after the Navy, the days were long and the work hard. It's not for everyone. Spent many days and nights at the Rat...went to work inland for awhile and unless it was a long term contract, the work could be very sporadic. Worked with many that came from a school, some good and some bad. Many didn't break out and left the industry. I would think long and hard if this is a career path you want.

To the OP. Find your way to the Commercial Diver's section Commercial Divers and do a bit of reading and asking questions there. Here is my lazy cut and paste from a thread I posted in several years ago:

Call me a statistic-I got out of the business after 2 years. That was way back in 1978 so as far as advice on schools ( I went to Ocean Corp in Houston) and the market, I'll leave that part to the guys recently involved. Please consider this before deciding on a career and spending big bucks on school. If you're married or in a serious relationship-especially one with kids, think about the following if you plan on working off shore.

You'll be spending A LOT OF TIME away from them. If you're not spending a lot of time away, then most likely you'll be hungry and wondering how you're going to pay the bills. Never mind if you KNOW you can be a good Commercial Diver, you may not be able to or want to hack offshore life for long periods of time. One thing I highly recommend is getting a job offshore as a cook, roustabout, etc. and live a bit of the "off shore" life first-see if that sort of life is for you.

Couv

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom