I started out with a set of split fins ,I think my kick st

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saintsfan

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
has changed or something they just dont seem to suit me any more.originally the shallower kick was natural but now i think I prefer blade style. has anyone else "out grown" their fins.

The problem with many large stiff bladed "power" fins is that the new diver lacks the leg muscles to use them efficently. So what you are saying makes senes to me, a softer split is easier to kick with but after a while after (if?) your leg muscles develop a power fin is more responsive and more rewarding.

Even our experienced divers seem to still prefer splits.

But, while intend to follow their advice and stay with splits, I am looking to upgrade to the stiffer Atomic splits instead of my Twin Jets for when I am diving doubles (which seems to be more and more). The Twin Jets just don't have the same responsiveness with the extra gear.

I started with the Apollo Bio-Fin Pro's - they seemed to work well, but were very negatively bouyant (whenever I stopped finning, I'd immediately sink feet-down). I used them for about 30 dives. Then I had to use them against a current - I never could make decent headway, but my wife & the DM had no such problems. Once out of the current, the DM had me switch fins with him to try his Mares Quattros - I was immediately sold on them and bought a pair before the next dive trip. My "foot-heavy" profile at rest ceased too. The Bio-Fin Pro's are in the closet needing a good home, along with some other stuff - I'll need to advertise for good homes for this stuff some day.

My wife, however, loves her Tusa Xpert Zoom split fins - they are noticeably stiffer than the Bio-fin Pro's and she doesn't have the same issue with highly negative bouyant feet / fins with them either. Nor does she have problems against current - so it may just have been me that was the problem. Our feet are too different in size to use each others' fins comfortably (she's petite, I'm ML). Her first fins were Diving Star stuff when she took scuba in college for PE credit, so just about anything was an upgrade.

We just did our Tech cert dives (ANDI TSD) at Grand Cayman Turtle Reef over Thanksgiving - and I was really glad for the Quattro's - the surface swims and extra drag of the gear would have made trying this with my Bio-Fin pro's unmagageable - I don't think I ever did well trying to snorkle or surface swim with the Bio-Fin pro's. But again maybe that's just me - divers with plenty more dives under their belt than me seem to love them. To each their own!

diverbrian:
Even our experienced divers seem to still prefer splits.

But, while intend to follow their advice and stay with splits, I am looking to upgrade to the stiffer Atomic splits instead of my Twin Jets for when I am diving doubles (which seems to be more and more). The Twin Jets just don't have the same responsiveness with the extra gear.
I have the original Atomic splits, which are a little stiffer than the current model. I switch between them and Jets (not split), depending on the situation, but mostly use the Atomics. The Atomics might not have quite the control or power of the Jets, but I find them a lot easier to use.

I really loved my Apollo bio fins.

For me, it was the other way. I dove with blades most of my life. As I got into my 50's I bought the split fins. I used them for work which did not require a distance to swim. We always boat dove right over or very close to our work site. I think the split fins lacked the thrust power but were easier on my old legs.
Adventure-Ocean

Back
Top Bottom