I need some help from Scuba Divers!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello Everyone!
I am writing a research project for my Composition 2 class and am writing about Scuba Diving! I want to get certified soon and found this as my way of educating myself a bit more on the topic. I just really want some stories of certified Scuba Divers and would love if some people on here could email me their stories so I can add it to my paper? If you would like to please email me here- Hannahlynn0314@gmail.com
It would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much, Hannah

How old are you, or to PC it, what is you age?

What angle are you looking for with your stories? What's the focus/main idea of your composition? And how do you plan to use the stories?

Definitely if you want stories, get with @Sam Miller III as he's the SB legend 'round these parts. I can only imagine what it would be like sitting around the camp fire listening to some of the stories he could tell with his diving experience.

It would help to know a little more about what you're looking for, though. Scuba diving stories is a very broad description and will net you all sorts of information.

A few observations from the perspective of a U.S. (KY) recreational scuba diver. You may know some of this. It's not all-inclusive; there are too many holes in my knowledge. It might provide some overview.

1.) There are a number of kinds of non-recreational or otherwise professional divers. Commercial divers, military divers, public safety divers, scientific research divers (which probably drives some of those claiming they're going to become marine biologists) and the dive instructors who teach recreational divers.

2.) Of the recreational divers, you'll see 2 board divisions; 'recreational' divers (the very large majority, with multiple levels of training, competence and experience - typical recommendations for self-restraint at this level include don't go > 130 feet deep and don't incur any decompression obligation or do 'overhead' (e.g.: cave or wreck penetration) diving. Then there are 'technical' divers - who have advanced training and advanced knowledge, skill and whatever additional equipment to bypass those restrictions and dive greater depths and/or durations, or enter environments that would get me killed.

3.) Some dive mainly locally; in the U.S. California and Florida are good 'bases' for that. In your region, some dive the Great Lakes - I believe @Marie13 got into diving to do that. Many people travel to dive - hence trips to southeastern Florida, the Caribbean islands, etc... And many do both. There's a slang term 'vacation diver' for people who only dive on vacation, I think mainly targeting very occasional divers - such as might do a couple of dives on a cruise every year or two? Some are more active - whether they take a couple of weeks/year for 'dive vacations' or dive locally.

4.) Not everyone dives for pretty coral reefs in tropical seas with excellent water clarity. California diving has colder water, requires more exposure protection and lacks most hard corals, but offers a 'forest' of kelp, and sea lions and harbor seals you won't see in the Caribbean. Some dive for pretty coral reefs and cute tropical fish, some for big animals (e.g.: manta rays, sharks, dolphins, whale sharks), some 'macro' (e.g.: small creatures, like sea slugs), some historical wrecks, and some love diving underwater caves.

5.) Scuba diving can be a way to 'relate' to a travel destination. Just as some marathon runners travel to participate in events at distant locations (why? You can run around the block a couple hundred times at home, right?), others hang at the beach (why? You can put a lounge chair in a sand box in your backyard) or photograph scenes or birdwatch, etc..., there's more to diving than diving. Both topside and underwater, there are new experiences to be had pursuing the hobby.

6.) Worth mentioning 'live-aboards' - where you spend a few days to a week or move living on (& diving from) a boat/yacht.

7.) Also worth mentioning in this day and age a lot of the regional destinations are pretty easy to reach and get around. English is widely spoken in the Caribbean, particularly touristy areas. With a little researching you can find destinations safe enough for most people's comfort level.

I'll post a few trip reports/research notes from some diverse destinations.

Coral Reef-focused:
Key Largo with Rainbow Reef Dive Center 2013 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...iving-key-largo-rainbow-reef-dive-center.html
Tres Pelicanos & Casa Mexicana, Cozumel Sept. 2018 Report - Tres Pelicanos/Casa Mexican Trip Report Sept. 2018
Cayman Aggressor IV May 2016 - http://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/cayman-aggressor-iv-trip-may-2016.527640/ (Example of a live-aboard trip).
Curacao Trip Report with SB Surge Jan. 2019 (Example of staying at an all-inclusive resort).
Big animal-focused:
Jupiter 2014 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/491927-jupiter-trip-report-9-7-14-9-11-14-a.html
Morehead City, NC August 2015 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/no...us-dive-center-aug-9-13-2015-trip-report.html
Emerald Charters Trip Report 2017 - Emerald Dive Charters Trip Report
California:
My Notes For Researching My California Dive Trip - http://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/my-notes-for-researching-my-california-dive-trip.532316/

I'm not a particularly diverse or widely traveled diver yet my experiences have enriched my life. You don't have to 'go a long ways' in scuba diving if it's impractical or you don't care to, but it's there if you want it.

Richard.

As a thought, you might want to write a first-person composition based on your own experience. I recommend doing a "discovery dive" (these are highly monitored and chaperoned dives for non-certified divers who just want to try it out, usually preceded by an hour or two of instruction in a pool) and writing about that. I think you would produce a composition that is much more interesting then just relating stories from folks like me. And it would be a heck of a lot more fun for you, both as to the diving and the writing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom