i need new dive gear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

domino22

Contributor
Reaction score
hello new member just found this site. would like some input on some new gear. i have not dove since 1989 but before that i dove alot rec.&commercial. would like to start up again but i pulled out my old gear and it looked a little scary. and i am not totaly up to date on what is available but have been doing some research and more is needed. i will be diving warm water only,will not dive without my camera.but would like to check out nitrox certification and rec deep diving at some point, so need nitrox capable equip. i am looking at the following 1) oceanic delta 3/cdx5 2) oceanic proplus 2 with the quick disconnect and compass 3) oceanic chute 3 but after reading several posts here the bp & wings seems to spark a little fever here among some folks but sure made me want to explore this option. as for mostly oceanic gear i can get a "brother-in-law deal" all the other things are cheap compared to the above items. all input welcome and no i will not get in the water to i have been checked out again. thanks

domino22 once bubbled...
hello new member just found this site. would like some input on some new gear. i have not dove since 1989 but before that i dove alot rec.&commercial. would like to start up again but i pulled out my old gear and it looked a little scary. and i am not totaly up to date on what is available but have been doing some research and more is needed. i will be diving warm water only,will not dive without my camera.but would like to check out nitrox certification and rec deep diving at some point, so need nitrox capable equip. i am looking at the following 1) oceanic delta 3/cdx5 2) oceanic proplus 2 with the quick disconnect and compass 3) oceanic chute 3 but after reading several posts here the bp & wings seems to spark a little fever here among some folks but sure made me want to explore this option. as for mostly oceanic gear i can get a "brother-in-law deal" all the other things are cheap compared to the above items. all input welcome and no i will not get in the water to i have been checked out again. thanks

Oceanic generally make good regs but it seems to me that they have a recall out on the CDX. I'm not 100% sure it's the one you mentioned but you should look into it.

If you ask me, I think Aqua Lung make some of the best regs around. Their Titans are simple and indestructable and the Legend is one of the best regs ever made.

R..

Regs - Go with ScubaPro! Down with APEX!! Just kidding, people seem to really like both brands. I prefer ScubaPro though. Maybe get an Mk25 or Mk16 1st stage with a S600 or G250 Primary and an R380 backup. They are really great regs. I have 3 of their 1st stages and 5 of their second stages and have had no problems.

BC - You mentioned BP & wings, an excellent setup. I dive a BP & wings actually. Very streamlined, durable, practical and versitile. Halcyon makes nice BPs, but their wings are really great. Very heavy duty and exceptional quality. FredT (a guy here on ScubaBoard, do a search for "FredT") makes a good BP too, with more options than the Halcyon. I have a Halcyon and a FredT plate, and it would be hard to pick a favorite. I have the 27lbs Halcyon Pioneer wing and think it's great. Do look into BP & wings, they are highly recommended here.

Have Fun, Dive Safe

thanks will look into the suggestions recieved. what about the diverite trans pac II some people like them here on the board. i like the padded straps if only wearing a t-shirt or thin shorty how about the straps with a bp&wings?? and the weight system used good bad or ? thanks

domino22 once bubbled...
thanks will look into the suggestions recieved. what about the diverite trans pac II some people like them here on the board. i like the padded straps if only wearing a t-shirt or thin shorty how about the straps with a bp&wings?? and the weight system used good bad or ? thanks

What I can say about the transpac II is that it has a little wobble because of the soft bp, which some people find to be an annoyance. The soft bp has the advantage, however that it makes the transpac good for a travel bcd and from what I hear on the forums, people who have them generally like them.

Also if you're planning on using twins then, even though the tanks will fit the transpac II, it probably isn't the best choice given the options. Diverite also has a classic BP/wing combo with padded straps, which you can get with or without quick releases if you worry about such things.

R..

The Transpac II has no wobble. It is stable, comfortable, easy to adjust and works fine without a crotch strap. Just remember, softpacks take their form from the tank. Once a softpack is attached to a tank it is as rigid as the tank.

I have to agree that the scuba pro stuff is top notch. I have just finished buying my first set of gear. I ended up with a Sea Quest Raider BC, its very very cushy and comfy with a fair amount of lift so it is better for the cold quarry diving i take part it. Not the easiest thing to pack though. I also got a Scuba Pro Mk25/S600 reg and Uwatec Smart Pro wrist mount computer. To me the smart pro had the most to offer. It will handle all nitrox mixes to 100% O2 and uses real time measurements of temperature in its calculations. Also it can be set for added protection using its microbubble supression. My second choice for a reg was an Atomic, probably the Z1 but also the M1. They seem to be on par with the scuba pro, just slightly more money, and since i bought the Uwatec Computer along with the reg I got a better price. I may end up with an Atomic reg still when I decide to have a dedicated Nitrox reg that is O2 clean. I do want to try a BP/Wing set up eventually and will probably end up getting one when I decide I don't need all the padding of the Raider.

leadweight once bubbled...
The Transpac II has no wobble. It is stable, comfortable, easy to adjust and works fine without a crotch strap. Just remember, softpacks take their form from the tank. Once a softpack is attached to a tank it is as rigid as the tank.

I should be more specific.

Among divers who have tried the transpac II with twins (especially those who have experice with a traditional bp/wing), they often comment that the stability doesn't compare to the metal bp system and cite wobble as a problem. With a single tank you might not get this.

And once again, as I said in my previous post people who have them are usually happy with them.

R..

Back
Top Bottom