I need info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BGillespie82

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In my english class I have chosen to write a persuasive paper claiming that allowing cave divers access to sink holes and springs will be benificial to Florida. My main focus is the Wakulla/Leon counties but I speak of all systems. What i need is any information with credible refrences on Financial gain from local counties from cavers (im trying to use marianna as some evidence to this claim but need actual evidence rather than word of mouth). I also need any info on our help with providing information to the state or DEP. And last any information that is about our efforts to keep these springs clean and undamaged.
Any help will be greatly appreciated and If all goes well I will be sending this letter to our local government.

Good luck with the paper. You should think about putting a draft up here in a post - I am sure you will get plenty of constructive suggestions from the Florida cavers.

In my english class I have chosen to write a persuasive paper claiming that allowing cave divers access to sink holes and springs will be benificial to Florida. My main focus is the Wakulla/Leon counties
The WKPP is already doing what you propose in the very area you propose it happen.

You ought to research Ichetucknee Springs and Rose Sink. Interesting how well cave divers and government worked together to fix some problems and preserve the area for years to come.

And of course, they shut down access to Rose Sink for divers...

You don't think the WKPP has done anything beneficial to the state of Florida? You disappoint me Kelly....

You might contact Edd at Cave Adventurers, and see if he has any estimate of how many divers come through his place in a year. That might give you a baseline for estimating lodging and meal expenditurs by cave divers.

As far as contributions to water quality, the WKPP has monitors scattered through the Wakulla system, and Jill Heinerth participated in the making of "Water's Journey", a film about the underwater conduits in Florida which is absolutely fascinating.

Good luck with your paper.

You don't think the WKPP has done anything beneficial to the state of Florida? You disappoint me Kelly....

I am not a WKPP basher,but support real science and exploration,which support the request for water quality and conservation evidence made by the poster. So yes,they have done things beneficial to the state of Florida. The request for information of opening access to caves and sinks,with a resultant financial gain to the region is something I would feel would be outside the mission of the WKPP,and that is why I ask how. When the WKPP visit the Crawfordville region they bring in a small team,that generates a trace benefit to the economic foundation of a community. Peacock for example that has 6000+ cave visitors a year,who all spend around $100 per day,then you can see the economic impact to a region,and the loss of Telford has had a negative impact to the local economy almost closing LCS.

I just want to tell everyone thank you for your ideas and valuable information wether it be an opinion of oppisition or support.

Ben Gillespie

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom