I NEED HELP!!! 14.8 V LiPo, but what LED's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frozenwarp

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
ok I was planning on running 4 X cree XR-E R2 at 1000ma from a bflex buck driver but i have been told that this wont be possible as the foward voltage is to close to the input voltage,

So i neeeeed help,
If you were to make a dive light (narrow beam less then 10 deg) from a 14.8V Lipo battery what LED configuration would you use?

Maximum external diamater of the optics 50mm preferable less (somethis like 40mm would be nice

Run time would have to be atleast 2 hours but preferable more

I open to suggestions, please help me

thanks in advance,
Bradley

ok I was planning on running 4 X cree XR-E R2 at 1000ma from a bflex buck driver but i have been told that this wont be possible as the foward voltage is to close to the input voltage,

So i neeeeed help,
If you were to make a dive light (narrow beam less then 10 deg) from a 14.8V Lipo battery what LED configuration would you use?

Maximum external diamater of the optics 50mm preferable less (somethis like 40mm would be nice

thanks in advance,
Bradley

Stick with your R2's but use this driver circuit instead.
Its quite versatile and you can use a multi mode 7135 board instead.

It will give you full power output until the battery voltage drops below the combined Vf of the 4 LEDs. Then it will slowly dim down until the battery protection circuit kicks in. Its very efficient when the input voltage is close to the Vf or below.
a 2.5amp pack should run at near full output for 1.5 hours with the next 2+ hours slowly dimming down.

Let's see...
A 14.8V pack is 4 cells in series; at max of 4.2V/cell and min of 3.2V/cell, your "14.8V" pack is really a 12.8-16.8V pack. The voltage falls in a kind of linear way with discharge.

Using a buck driver the output can never be more than the input, normally about 0.3-0.5V less than the input. Thus at end of discharge, you are only going to get 12.5V output. By the way, this is the most efficient type, 90% or higher typical, 95+% is possible.

I just tested the Luxeon Rebels I'm using in my light, and at 1% they are 2.67V per LED. At 10% they are 2.83V per LED. At 100% (700mA) they are 3.2V. At 1A they are 3.27V. Note I chose (rather arbitrarily, but with conservativism in mind), 700 mA as 100% output. With good heatsinking they run pretty cool, so I may increase the max output.

This would suggest that at end of battery life your 4-LED series array would get about 12.5/4=3.13V per LED, which would put them well above 10% and well below 100% of current rating. You might consider this pretty acceptable. Or not. Your choice. Given my numbers you would get 100% output as long as the battery can provide 3.2*4+0.3=13.1V. You would cross this line at 85% discharge, meaning you would get 100% output for most of the battery life, then dimming until the battery protection cuts in (don't even think of using Li-Po without protection somewhere). The dimming may not even be noticable before the light just cuts out very suddenly.

You might be pretty happy with this. If so, stop reading HERE.

I can imagine only one way anyone might think this design could be improved: 1. Max power to the bitter end. 2. more warning of iminent shutdown.

I can imagine only two ways anyone might think this design could be improved. 1. Max power to the bitter end. 2. more warning of iminent shutdown. 3. Both.

I can imagine....

Okay, so there are many things that could be tweaked. What are the options?

1. Change to 3 LEDs in series. This gets you lower output voltage for the reg, which in this case means 100% output to the very end. It also probably means less total light output.

2. Change to 3 LEDs in series, 2 strings in parallel This means 6 total LEDs. It reduces the LED voltage allowing 100% output to the end of battery life, but keeps or even increases the total light ouptut (increase comes at the expense of battery life). Lower LED current means the LEDs are slightly more efficient.

3. Change to 2 LEDs in series, 2 strings in parallel This keeps the same 4 total LEDs, but reduces the LED voltage with the benefits mentioned above. The buck driver would need to be selected for twice the output current, and the efficiency may suffer a little for this (depends on the unit selected).

4. Switch to a driver that has low battery warnings. As I built my own, I got nothing for you here. You have to research it yourself.

5. Switch to a buck/boost driver. I'm not keen on this, as the selections seem very limited and the efficiency is typically substantially lower than buck only or boost only drivers. But it does eliminate the problem of the battery voltage being close to or crossing over the LED array voltage.

6. Switch to a boost driver. The efficiency and probably the availability are between those of buck and buck/boost drivers. I chose this for my design, which uses 6 LEDs and 8 Ni-MH cells (8.0-9.6V) because the numbers work out better (it's a long story why 6 LEDs/8 cells). In my professional life I've built some buck drivers with better efficiency of 93%@30W. I'm getting 85-90% for the dive light at 5-14W, with better eff coming at lower power.

So basically, I think your 4-LED, 4-cell (Li-Po) configuration is pretty good, subject to your personal tastes. Choose the best driver you can, and drive on!

I hope this helps. If not please feel free to ask for more, or ignore me.

D

cheers for the help, I recieved my LEDs today from cutter and i ended going for 3 LED's in series, my reasoning was recieving max efficiancy and longer burn time, And yes the driver i selected (Bflex) has voltage protection for my LiPo

cheers all,
Bradley

So i neeeeed help,

thanks in advance,
Bradley

You could just direct drive 4 of them.

Yea i thought about direct drive but i wanted some of the other features the B-flex driver offers such as the voltage trip to protect my battery, and also to warn me if i'm diving that my battery is about to go. Thermal protection is also a bit of a bonus for when im running it out of water

Cheers all,
Bradley

Stick with your R2's but use this driver circuit instead.
Its quite versatile and you can use a multi mode 7135 board instead.

May I ask why all here trys to drive HP leds with some crap like 7135 ( 8 FET to build 2800mA !!!))? Ok it is cheap but instead of it of you can use normal resistor -same thing. Why not some quality led driver like

look on eBay under
'' BLACK POWER 2800mA ! - LED Treiber Konstantstromquelle'' or look under 3w.ledtreiber.de ; look under buck
( sorry ;we use European eBay ; german or british or italian because of distance )

Not to be direct like this circuit but that it is build with performance like this ? I don't understand that!
Why ?
- high efficiency
- good materials - low ESR electrolyt condensators (very important)
- good thermal conuctivity ;I think thay have ALuminium based PCB boards
- thermal protection

I think that Cree or SSC P7 are not so cheap for exchange them . And also all these wiring combinations on upper link ?! Poorman ??- quality led driver costs like one pcs of SSC P7

Best regards

Last edited:
I'm going to be running 3 ssc p7's off a 12v battery pack. Driven by a Dive lite genie. So far the test is impressive. Once I get more posts I will get the pics up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom