I need a small light, less than 6" in length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kairoos

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I would like a small, inexpensive light (or two) to have as a backup, and for daytime use. My BC has no pockets, but I added one onto the webbing but it's only 6"x5", so I'm looking for a light maybe 5.5" in length. Hopefully I can find a light that will fit, or I'll have to buy a bigger pocket, which I don't really want hanging off my BC.

We may have the exact light you are looking for. Small, powerful and solid anodized aluminum construction. In addition, it has a built in emergency strobe activation option - something that might be useful to a diver who needs rescue at night.

680 Lumen Dive Light | MAKO Spearguns

680-dive-light-with-lanyard.jpg

M680DL-2.jpg

We may have the exact light you are looking for. Small, powerful and solid anodized aluminum construction. In addition, it has a built in emergency strobe activation option - something that might be useful to a diver who needs rescue at night.

680 Lumen Dive Light | MAKO Spearguns

680-dive-light-with-lanyard.jpg

M680DL-2.jpg
Nice light! I like the battery status indicator, that's a great feature. CR123's are a little weird, but it looks like there are rechargeable CR123s on the market (I hate using disposable batteries)!

The run time listed on your product page, what capacity were the CR123's used to get those figures? 1000 mAh?

Look at the DGX MAX ( https://www.divegearexpress.com/dgx-max-handheld-light )I added a small D ring to my BC upper vertical riser webbing and dangle it from there with a clip. To stow it I have attached a piece of tubular elastic material (a piece of bicycle tube works just as well) lower down on the web and tuck the head into it. I have several and now many of the folks I dive with have also gotten them, for $50 with battery and charger I think that they are a great light

I own two of the Mako lights and they are great little dive lights. I use the disposable batteries They are a bit pricey and I probably get about two dives worth of use out of a set. My main issue with the lights is that the switch is not deeply inset and they were too often accidently trigger on when in my drysuit pocket. I still use them as backup lights but only if clipped onto a d-ring.

I own two of the Mako lights and they are great little dive lights. I use the disposable batteries They are a bit pricey and I probably get about two dives worth of use out of a set. My main issue with the lights is that the switch is not deeply inset and they were too often accidently trigger on when in my drysuit pocket. I still use them as backup lights but only if clipped onto a d-ring.

Thanks for mentioning that. The battery sensor function produces a tiny drain on the batteries during storage. In order to avoid this issue, you can unscrew the head less than half a turn and this will disconnect from the battery. Due to the 0-ring configuration, the light is still water tight in this condition, (similar to other screw on head lights which have no switch).

So for storage at home, in transit, or in your pocket, it is probably advisable to unscrew until the light turns off. It will take a second to screw the head down when you want to activate the light (if you are using this as a back up light).

Thanks for the positive feedback!

I have not tried the Mako, but I have three DGX 600s and both my GF and I love them.

Back
Top Bottom