I may have slight DCI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tfunk

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all,

Here's the story:
I was diving with a guy who doesn't like taking his time to get to the 'deco' stop. We were at the bottom of a reservoir (85ft), and hit a silt-off, which I had already been to before. The guy freaks out after finally realizing that we've hit the bottom, and the silt won't clear by going further into the silt. We swim back, but not far enough (he's now holding my wrist like he's my dad). Then he gives me the thumb up, so he drags me to 10ft from 80ft in like probably 30-40 seconds. I purposely lagged behind with an empty BC while he tugs on me, sometimes I'm a little too laid back.

Anyways, for the past three weeks I've had some very slight throbing in the tips of my left index, thumb, middle and ring fingers, and a little in my right index and middle fingers. It was also cold (around 55 F), my left hand was losing feeling because my computer was on it too tight. For the first week I'd sometimes lose feeling in the tips of those fingers with seldom sharp pains.

What do ya think? Recompression, or is there some medicine that can do the trick? Perhaps I can recompress at 60ft underwater for a while? I know this isn't recommended, but I don't have the cash to recompress. If I need to recompress, what are some possible future consequences if I don't?

Next time the kid can go up on his own.

Tyler

tfunk:
Hey all,

Here's the story:
He gives me the thumb up, then he drags me to 10ft from 80ft in like probably 30-40 seconds. I purposely lagged behind with an empty BC while he tugs on me, sometimes I'm a little too laid back.

Anyways, for the past three weeks I've had some very slight throbbing in the tips of my left index, thumb, middle and ring fingers, and a little in my right index and middle fingers. It was also cold (around 55 F), my left hand was losing feeling because my computer was on it too tight. For the first week I'd sometimes lose feeling in the tips of those fingers with occasional sharp pains.

What do ya think? Recompression, or is there some medicine that can do the trick? Perhaps I can recompress at 60ft underwater for a while? I know this isn't recommended, but I don't have the cash to recompress. If I need to recompress, what are some possible future consequences if I don't?

Next time the kid can go up on his own.

Tyler

Tyler,

I would have to say that it is quite probable that the symptoms you are reporting are, in fact, DCS.

The only sure way to diagnose DCS is the "Test of Pressure". In other words, if the patient is recompressed and the symptoms are immediately relieved, it is a case of DCS.

Unfortunately, after a period of three weeks, the symptoms you are still reporting are likely to be the result of mechanical injury due to the original physical insult. In other words, they are not likely to respond to simple recompression.

I would HIGHLY recommend that you call the Diver's Alert Network Medical Advice line (919-684-8111) and ask them for a recommendation. You do not have to be a DAN member to receive advice. I suspect that, at the very least, they will recommend a visit to a Physician in your area with knowledge of diving, although the treatment at this point will probably only be through the judicious use of non-steroidal anti-infalmmatory drugs (NSAID's).

I am sorry that this occurred to you. I am sure I don't have to recommend that you not let your friend get hold of you on ascent again.

Also, for divers, DAN is extremely cheap insurance, compared to the Hyperbaric Medicine Center's bill. Just a thought!

---------------------------------------------------

I am a Diver Medic Technician, not a Physician. My suggestions are based on my training, but do not constitute a medical diagnosis. Consult with a physician in your area with knowlege of diving medicine.

:doctor:

I think you're in the wrong place. call DAN.

And get DAN insurance or equivalent before you ever dive again, please.

DeepBlueDivers:
What everyone is telling you is the best advice you will ever get CONTACT DAN
Yeah, but I'm also concerned about anyone who woudl dive, but not be able to afford needed accident treatment - even more so today, after a diver from my boat surfaced in big trouble last Saturday.

Buy the insurnace before another air fill.

1. Member or not Call DAN ASAP. They will help even if you are not a member with advice.
2. Get insurance. DAN and other DCS insurance companyies cover so much that health insurance will not.

I once had DCS and I called DAN. Now what is important, is that the symptoms were so slight that I would not have gone to the doctor when I did if I had to lay out the money. I felt pretty silly as the sypmtoms were so slight and vuage. But since DAN was paying 100% of the bill, I made the call. Took some chamber rides and the rest is history. DAN is peace of mind and the freedom to call when you ned to.

pasley:
1. Member or not Call DAN ASAP. They will help even if you are not a member with advice.
2. Get insurance. DAN and other DCS insurance companyies cover so much that health insurance will not.

I called DAN, and because the symptoms are on and off they said not to worry about it. Anyways, for the future, I got the insurance. Went diving today and yesterday, felt great. Hand feels even better. I dunno why, possibly a little time at 60ft was good for it. Maybe it was psychology as the DAN person told me not to worry about it. Anyways, I'm covered so I don't have to worry about future problems because it'll be covered! Thanks for all your input.

Tyler

tfunk:
I called DAN, and because the symptoms are on and off they said not to worry about it. Anyways, for the future, I got the insurance. Went diving today and yesterday, felt great. Hand feels even better. I dunno why, possibly a little time at 60ft was good for it. Maybe it was psychology as the DAN person told me not to worry about it. Anyways, I'm covered so I don't have to worry about future problems because it'll be covered! Thanks for all your input.

Tyler

:cheering: yay :cheering: yay :cheering: yay :cheering:​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom