I lost my GoPro at Lovers....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I know it's a long shot...I was exiting at Lovers #2 today with some pretty big surf and when I got to the beach my GoPro was no long at the end of it's lanyard. :( It's attached to a pvc pipe so it floats. We searched as best as we could in the rocks but the waves were crashing into them pretty good to the right of the beach. We also checked out Lovers #1.

Fingers crossed

Thank, Dave

A friend lost his camera a few years back somewhere in the monterey area (either BW or Macabee cant remember) and eventually someone found it near the Post Grad school. Lucky that he had his name and email in the housing so eventually the two were reunited.

So theres always hope

If it's a floater, you might not like what you find. Assuming it is found. I'll be interning in Monterey for the next two days; I'll keep my eyes and ears open.

I'm not sure what you're reasoning was for attaching a float to the GoPro. Personally I've found this method of lost-recovery to be worse than an item that sinks. And believe me, I've lost quite a few GoPro sized collection vials in my scientific diving career; some floating, some sinking (depending if I remember to flood it or not prior to diving).

If you lose your item in deep water, it floats to the top away from the boat. You're not going to be able get the boat to chase after it once you surface (until all divers get back on board). That's assuming someone spots it.
In shallow water, there's more of a chance for you to safely extend your dive time to search for it. You can even do another dive if it means that much to you. On the surface you have to possibly battle surf, waves, white caps, and the landscape. The item has a better chance to be mobile on the surface than on the ground. Meaning it can reappear in a spot you've already looked at, while you're looking elsewhere.
I think the odds are much better to find your gear underwater rather than trying to recover it after it has detached and surfaced away from you.

Just some food for thought.

Thanks for the replies....The next GoPro will have some contact info on or in it...haha

I will rethink my next design..thanks for the ideas

Time to upgrade to the new "black"??

Thanks, Dave

Hey there Dave, I picked up an XTC300 a couple months ago. It comes with several attachment options all in the same box, even a housing so you can dive with. its all 1080p, so the quality is great. I mounted mine on a camera tray and use my sola as the light. I love it. Carol and Keith from Bamboo in Monterey turned me on to the config.
Here is the link for the cam if you want to look into it.
Midland XTC-300 - Radio Communication - Products - Midland, Cte International, Consumer Bluetooth Communication, Bluetooth adapter, Headphones, GPS Locators, Radio CB, Radio Marine, Radio PMR446/LPD, Radio professional, VHF/UHF Transceivers, Scanner,
Sorry to hear you lost your camera. No fun...
Rob

Thanks for the replies....The next GoPro will have some contact info on or in it...haha

I will rethink my next design..thanks for the ideas

Time to upgrade to the new "black"??

Thanks, Dave

Dave,

I lost a camera awhile back in Catalina and it was found about 6 months later. It was negative, so it ended up on the bottom. In the interim, there was enough water movement that it got beat against the rocks and cracked and flooded. I did get a call on it as I had my name and number written inside the housing with a marker.

I like the idea of a float but if it happens to get loose underwater, it could be a challenge as to what to do, you don't want to ascend too quickly to get it.

In my case, the camera was in use by a friend and he was using a lanyard on his wrist rather than a coil or other lanyard attached to the BC. When we returned to the boat there was current so we used a current line back and after returning, it was no longer on his wrist. He never felt it leave. Good reason to attach to the BC.

Anyway, you may get it back if you are lucky. If it floats, it can similarly get beat up on the rocks nearshore. GoPro housing is pretty compact so it might survive. Was it the hero, or the hero2? If it was the hero, I have one I no longer use, if you are interested. Cheers...Rick :)

I'm torn between "better positive" and "better negative." Both have the opportunity to get dashed upon rocks, but negative pretty much requires that the camera stay at a dive site in order to be found, whereas positive has the benefits of washing up on a beach, being carried by a turtle, etc.

As for myself, I've split the difference and opted for perfectly neutral, thus guaranteeing that the camera, if dropped, will never be found, and will be free to roam the Pacific blue at 30-100ft depth forever.

Sorry to hear that. I have attached the cat's old name tag to mine. So what that it's a pink heart and says Cuddles? It's got my phone number and e-mail. I do hope you are able to recover your camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom