I lost 2400psi in 30 seconds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess that's another reason to dive nitrox: You have that sticker that has your signature and writing on it. I also have air integrated oceanic computers with the wireless link. I keep checking to make sure the link is still connected, so it's hard not to see my pressure.

Either way, I understand how mistakes get made, so I'm not going to preach that you should have done this or that. Glad to hear that you are OK.

Everyone - I'm not asking my question to address gas management - although we could go on for days about that.

My question was very specific, and was for George: I'd like to know how someone with 20 dives in two years (presuming 2 - 3 a trip, that's like 7 - 10 trips in 2 years... mix in a stay at a warm water resort and its considerably less) managed the situation.

We have no idea what his buddy's gauge read when they did the show me/ show you at the bottom. Did his buddy only have 20 dives? Maybe less? Was there an air share, was there a bolt, was there a stop, how long was the stop, what was going on in his mind, what training came back to mind that enabled him to calmly handle the situation - if it was calm, did George manage the team back to the surface or did the buddy take over the ascent, etc, etc.

If you're at 600 PSI on the bottom of the ocean at 100 feet - I don't care how long you've been diving, how low your SAC is or how much skeels you think you have, its an accident that you're in that situation and it should give you pause.

Lets let George chime back in - OK?

Thanks

Ken

wedivebc:
I don't see the problem 16cuft should last me about 10 min at an average depth of 50ft. So what is the issue with that?

Even an air hog should be ok, even with an optional safety stop. First breath 0.5 cf, then next breath 10' higher, etc., you may even be able to squeeze by with 6 cf without a safety stop, given the circumstances, this wasn't close to a NDL limit.

I always wondered why we looked at the guage when we pulled a breath. This certainly explains why we shouldn't shortcut this step. Thanks for the post. Good lesson for us not to get too complacent.

georgelawrence:
I’m new to these boards, but have been diving for about 2 years. I’m AOW with about 20 dives beyond those of the certifications.

FWIW, the time to check your tank pressure is after you strap the tank on to your BC and connect and test your regs, and before you get in the water. This is helpful to verify that the tank you're using actually is full.

It's also a good time to take a few big breaths off it while watching your gauge. It should read full both before you breathe and while you're breathing. If it drops while you're breathing the tank may not be on fully (or at all), or you may have a problem with your first stage.

Terry

Jaci:
I always wondered why we looked at the guage when we pulled a breath. This certainly explains why we shouldn't shortcut this step. Thanks for the post. Good lesson for us not to get too complacent.

Call me a cheap tightwad, but I always check the pressure before a dive just to see how much gas the fill guy tried to screw me out of. FWIW, the fills at the green pier shop were always really good. :eyebrow:

dannobee:
Call me a cheap tightwad, but I always check the pressure before a dive just to see how much gas the fill guy tried to screw me out of. FWIW, the fills at the green pier shop were always really good. :eyebrow:

I carry my pressure gauge with me when I go to pick up my tanks. I clamp on, measure the pressure before I schlep them back to the dive area / tarpzilla.

Of course, one time I dropped the gauge into my pocket, did the dive and kinda pranged the thing. :11:

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
I carry my pressure gauge with me when I go to pick up my tanks. I clamp on, measure the pressure before I schlep them back to the dive area / tarpzilla.

Of course, one time I dropped the gauge into my pocket, did the dive and kinda pranged the thing. :11:

---
Ken
Do you use the gauge to confirm your spg or to avoid schlepping empty tanks?

wedivebc:
Do you use the gauge to confirm your spg or to avoid schlepping empty tanks?

A) Confirm a fat fill before leaving the fill station

B) Confirm buddy has fat fill before leaving the fill station (short buddy fills are just as bad as having a shorty in your own can)

I usually dive with my Vytec AI and an SPG on the hip - so I got plenty of things telling me how much gas I have both before I get into the water as well as throughout the dive.

The check gauge is a bit crusty, but it accurate within a few hunge, and will prevent empty can schleppage. In a zillion dives at the park, I've never had an issue when they're filling my tank. Two out of a zillion (both on those bogus rental 72's) fills, I've come back empty handed. Both were sniffed out before we got wet (check gauge is DIN.)

Cold apple juice and a refer Snickers - the SI grub of choice while at the point.

---
Ken

Jaci:

It also lets you know if your tank is turned on completely, or if the valve is just cracked. If you read 3000 psi (or whatever) and you see the needle fluctuate when you breathe, it means your valve is not fully open.

I saw my wife check her regulator once without looking at her gauge. For a second I was going to let it go, but I thought better of it and I asked her to check her reg while checking her gauges. Well it was a good thing I did because with every breath the needle on her pressure gauge went from 2400 to 1900 and back again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom