I Live in Thailand - My Dive Plans For 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you ever dived on the Phinisi liveaboard to the South Andaman as that's who I'm currently looking at for later this year?

Never done Losin but have read good reports. Did you recommend any other operators for this trip than the one you mentioned?

Never been on the Phinisi. It's a relatively new boat, isn't it?

I first did Losin about a decade ago when one of the only boats going there was the Scuba Explorer which was operated in the Gulf by Samui Dive Service. Most of those trips were long hauls between Songkhla and Koh Tao (direction depending on the season). A few years back we went on Scuba Net and had a great time. (Whale Shark!). It's a rather uncommon trip, so you might just pick a boat that meets your schedule. I'd avoid boats that throw in Lopi and/or visit the artificial reefs which consist mostly of old railroad coaches, garbage trucks and ancient battle tanks.

@Centrals - Don't know what to tell you about Tapana. They've always been responsive, but we usually book through an agent. Sainamtalay PADI Dive Center

Never been on the Phinisi. It's a relatively new boat, isn't it?

I first did Losin about a decade ago when one of the only boats going there was the Scuba Explorer which was operated in the Gulf by Samui Dive Service. Most of those trips were long hauls between Songkhla and Koh Tao (direction depending on the season). A few years back we went on Scuba Net and had a great time. (Whale Shark!). It's a rather uncommon trip, so you might just pick a boat that meets your schedule. I'd avoid boats that throw in Lopi and/or visit the artificial reefs which consist mostly of old railroad coaches, garbage trucks and ancient battle tanks.

@Centrals - Don't know what to tell you about Tapana. They've always been responsive, but we usually book through an agent. Sainamtalay PADI Dive Center
Yes I think 2-3 years old...sister ship of The Junk.

Finally came across Koh Losin!
But nothing on operators etc etc.
Couple of places mentioned in the article are NOT that difficult to get to.

The article says about Losin:

Getting There
Travel from Bangkok to Hatyai. A shuttle van service from the airport to the pier (located at Songkhla) is provided. At the pier, hop onto a speedboat towards Koh Losin.

I've been diving Losin for well over a decade. I've never seen a speedboat headed for Losin. Losin is about 90 nautical miles from Songkhla. It takes a dive boat all night to get there. I imagine a 90 NM speedboat ride overnight would be most unpleasant.

We're doing yet another Losin trip this August. The MV Tapana 1 departs Songkhla the evening of August 12th. Three days of diving the 13th-15th. The boat arrives back to Songkhla the 15th, but you can spend the night on the boat before you fly out of Hat Yai the 16th. Our agent for the trip is Sainamtalay Dive Center. I understand that there are two cabins left. Their Line ID is sainamtalay.

losin.jpg

Losin Light

LosinMap.jpg

19th Century British Map

LosinSiteMap.jpg

Dive Site Map

The article says about Losin:

I've been diving Losin for well over a decade. I've never seen a speedboat headed for Losin. Losin is about 90 nautical miles from Songkhla. It takes a dive boat all night to get there. I imagine a 90 NM speedboat ride overnight would be most unpleasant.

We're doing yet another Losin trip this August. The MV Tapana 1 departs Songkhla the evening of August 12th. Three days of diving the 13th-15th. The boat arrives back to Songkhla the 15th, but you can spend the night on the boat before you fly out of Hat Yai the 16th. Our agent for the trip is Sainamtalay Dive Center. I understand that there are two cabins left. Their Line ID is sainamtalay.

View attachment 733920
Losin Light

View attachment 733921
19th Century British Map

View attachment 733922
Dive Site Map

Just cannot trust everything published on internet! LOL
The dive operator link only displayed the home page and nothing else.
Can't travel this yr as 7 days of quarantine is still required. I need a good reason to spend 7 days trapped in a hotel room at my own expenses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom