I have questions for a diver medic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Turtle67

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am considering going to school for diver medic training as well as hyperbaric chamber certification. The school offers paramedic training as well, do I need this also and is there a demand for this profession ?

any help that can be given to me as far as which specific training I need would be greatly appreciated. I am currently 60% finished with my DM training. thanks

There is always demand for paramedics, just beware that the pay scale difference is huge between private and public agencies. Your best bet is to work on a fire department as a medic. I can't speak to the demand of hyberbaric medicine but I do know that its use is increasing beyond dive medicine.

Thanks for the input, if you ever get near daytona beach give a shout. Michael

There was some rumor about 6 months ago that without being a Paramedic you could not take the license for the DMT. This was supposed to be pushed through this month. We don't know if that's actually going to happen or not.

DMT's in the Gulf and beyond when the season is busy make about $700 per day. I believe they are almost always commercial divers as well. At least the ones I know are, but they were Commercial divers first then took the DMT course. I don't know if it has to be this way or not.

Right now, because of the oil spill and everything, the commercial diving world is very slow. The DMT's I know are out of work as is nearly 2000 commercial divers.

Hyperbaric chamber certification and paramedic are a good match. Your best chance for a well paying career will be in Health care though.

Hyperbaric chambers are seeing an increase in use for several medical issues, none that are diving related. Burn therapy, scar reduction, lung ailments, spinal injuries all have hyperbaric treatment options.

Don't forget CO poisoning and gangrene(sp)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom