I have 2 strobes, where do I put my torch at night?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This model (Weefine 1000FR) has, as can be seen under specs.: WF068 Smart Focus 1000FR Fokuslampe von Weefine

Wolfgang
I guess I must be failing at reading today. Can you point me to what specifically you mean? I understood "Flash mode" to be somewhat the opposite of what I want, with the 1000FR firing a pulse of light when it detects a flash. Is that wrong?

... @CanadaDan But how do you dive ? Hold the camera in one hand, your chest D ring light in the other hand, and when you see something you want to take a picture of, you just leave your light dangle on your chest, grab your camera with both hands and use your video lights as focus lights ?

That camera must be so heavy! Also surprised that you use so many floaters. With my dome I use regular arms and I've added almost a kilo of weight attached to the dome.

At night I use a Sony A6500 in a Seafrogs salted line housing (16-55 lense and macro port), M setup with 2x25cm arms each side, 2*Z330 strobes. Very negatively buoyant, I'd say almost a kilo. Gonna be even heavier if I attach lights to it so I'm looking to buy floating arms too.

Still undecided on cold shoe or a setup similar to @CanadaDan with triple clamps and the lights there

The carbon floats make it perfectly neutral in salt water. The extra 1lb bottom weight on the tray is to compensate for the dome wanting to float the whole thing nose up and so it 'hangs' properly of I let it go). The foams go on in fresh water to achieve the same effect.

I take a lot of pictures when I dive it so its not in the way. If I'm not using for some reason it I'll put my forearms through the rig arms and just let it hang there. It's tethered to the opposite D ring to my signal light which is usually hanging straight down more as a marker light. I can easily grab it with one hand to use it for signalling. The two 3500 lumen video lights more than take care of lighting up things I want to see. I usually leave them on for stills.... I could probably get away without the strobes but it depends on the picture I want to get.

If you run the light on the shoe you'll just have to turn it off when taking stills to avoid the backscatter. Big Blue has a 1200lumen light that has an Auto Flash Off feature... not sure how well that works. but it's an interesting idea as a focus light.

This model (Weefine 1000FR) has, as can be seen under specs.: WF068 Smart Focus 1000FR Fokuslampe von Weefine

Wolfgang
I guess I must be failing at reading today. Can you point me to what specifically you mean? I understood "Flash mode" to be somewhat the opposite of what I want, with the 1000FR firing a pulse of light when it detects a flash. Is that wrong?

"In such a small light we have managed to incorporate continuous video light, flash detection option and red light, with these options any diver can achieve the best shots in their dives."
"The 2-second press of the on / off button leaves the focus in flash mode waiting to receive a flash from the emitting source, at which time our focus begins to act in Flash mode."
=> no doubt. "flash mode" means the ability to switch off upon detecting flash light...

Wolfgang

You can get a focus light. Mine has a broad field and on low, it gives pretty good illumination. At night, you do not need much light power. Too much will just destroy your night vision. Also powerful lights disturb fish that are bedded down for the night. Also, you can get a light that has a hand harness. That way your hand is not tied up clutching the light.

"In such a small light we have managed to incorporate continuous video light, flash detection option and red light, with these options any diver can achieve the best shots in their dives."
"The 2-second press of the on / off button leaves the focus in flash mode waiting to receive a flash from the emitting source, at which time our focus begins to act in Flash mode."
=> no doubt. "flash mode" means the ability to switch off upon detecting flash light...

Wolfgang
I actually wrote weefine customer support and they answered

Our smart focus 1000 supports automatic flash off.Under "flash mode" ,adjust the flash inensity to 0%. When the light sensor detects the strobe light,the flashlight will turn off the focus light.​
So, it's clear to me, thanks. And thanks to weefine for getting back to me right away!

I don’t think this has been mentioned yet, but another potential solution is to use multipurpose clamps + mounting balls at the apex of your strobe arm connections. The two Nauticam parts needed are:

EC514509-190E-4C6B-95B3-0582FA1014A2.jpeg

This allows for something very similar in function to a triple clamp, but without the floppy mess of adjustment problems inherent in that setup. The pin and screw on the strobe mounting ball allow it to have a rigid connection to the clamp. The screw replaces the shackle, and there is a smaller pin hole near that location.

I use this set up most of the time, with strobes on the end of the arms and video lights at the apexes (elbows?). I like it for 90% of my dives, and it also allows the video lights to function as focus lights when needed.

A big thank you to the guys at Reef Photo in Fort Lauderdale, who showed me how these MP clamps can work well for this application.

Lance

Wow, that is a great idea, thank you!
I'm shocked that Nauticam doesn't include an illustrative picture on the mounting ball, it really isn't that obvious. I already ordered the triple clamp unfortunately, let's see how it goes. I will probably try this if I'm not happy with the triple clamp :)

Is it possible use a handle bar like nitescuba NS10-H
This one works for most of the UW camera tray , like nauticam housing a7 series and nauticam, compact housing tray.

At night I use a Sony A6500 in a Seafrogs salted line housing (16-55 lense and macro port), M setup with 2x25cm arms each side, 2*Z330 strobes. Very negatively buoyant, I'd say almost a kilo. Gonna be even heavier if I attach lights to it so I'm looking to buy floating arms too.
I’ve got a similar setup but am using some carbon float arms. Its actually very positively buoyant, and I’m looking at ways of adding a little ballast to the bottom front of the dome. I haven‘t tested with my macro port yet, but imagine it’ll still be positive, though a bit less.
8CC4220B-40EE-4E7E-9789-2E6A733850A0.jpeg

If you run the light on the shoe you'll just have to turn it off when taking stills to avoid the backscatter. Big Blue has a 1200lumen light that has an Auto Flash Off feature
Our smart focus 1000 supports automatic flash off.Under "flash mode" ,adjust the flash inensity to 0%. When the light sensor detects the strobe light,the flashlight will turn off the focus light.
Kraken has a focus light with a similar feature, the Hydra 1500+ WSR, but the 1000 Focus Edition does not have this. It has a strobe port that can sync to let the light burst to 1500 lumens, but it doesn’t turn off when a flash is detected. Don’t make the same mistake I did and buy the wrong light…

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom