I have 2 strobes, where do I put my torch at night?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a photojournalist shooter (as opposed to commercial photog) I always try to naturally work with as minimal gear as possible and as easy and safe as possible.
Having done a ton of cavern and cave photography, using between one strobe or many more, I usually attach two strobes to my housing and then clip the others off to my d-rings to swim in before placing. I always carry a DiveRite cannister light with a soft handle for my hand. When I shoot, I usually hand-hold the light as needed to see and/or focus, then simply hang it around my neck, paying attention to where the beam is. (Usually out of frame.)
This has worked for me for many years in all kinds of conditions. I confess though to being more "artist" than technician/technical geek.

What about something like this? Keeps it handy and ready to use, but also keeps your hand free to do stuff...

What about something like this? Keeps it handy and ready to use, but also keeps your hand free to do stuff...
Your link to this failed.
That was mentioned in Post #6 (soft Goodman glove) and dismissed by the OP in post #7.

I have a Weefine 3400 Smartfocus lamp, mounted to the coldshoe of my Nauticam housing very stable. I would not like to have a lamp in my hand and simultaneously make photos. A head lamp is also certainly not what I would want to have during a nightdive, since needlefish and barracudas get attracted to light in the night and sometimes cause injuries. In some regions of the world the advise is to turn lights off during a safety stop because of this...

see e.g.:

The advantage of a focus lamp is that it turns off automatically during a flash and does not interfere with your photo. 3400 lumen are plenty of light for a night dive. There is also the possibility of mounting a lamp on a stick, mounted to a female connector on the housing. The stabilty and possibilities for mounting a lamp to the housing may depend on the brand and one has to check out how to achieve it...

Wolfgang

I was going to suggest somewhere but then you would only be able to see what was behind you.

The advantage of a focus lamp is that it turns off automatically during a flash and does not interfere with your photo. 3400 lumen are plenty of light for a night dive. There is also the possibility of mounting a lamp on a stick, mounted to a female connector on the housing. The stabilty and possibilities for mounting a lamp to the housing may depend on the brand and one has to check out how to achieve it...

Does anyone happen to know if the Weefine Smart focus 1000 has this quenching feature? I'm guessing not, since they don't brag about it, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

@tursiops I'm not too worried about signals, I can just put my hand in front of the camera to do the signal.
I didn't know there are focus lights that shut off with strobes, that's very neat!! But I'd like to avoid buying new lights again :D

@CanadaDan But how do you dive ? Hold the camera in one hand, your chest D ring light in the other hand, and when you see something you want to take a picture of, you just leave your light dangle on your chest, grab your camera with both hands and use your video lights as focus lights ?

That camera must be so heavy! Also surprised that you use so many floaters. With my dome I use regular arms and I've added almost a kilo of weight attached to the dome.

At night I use a Sony A6500 in a Seafrogs salted line housing (16-55 lense and macro port), M setup with 2x25cm arms each side, 2*Z330 strobes. Very negatively buoyant, I'd say almost a kilo. Gonna be even heavier if I attach lights to it so I'm looking to buy floating arms too.

Still undecided on cold shoe or a setup similar to @CanadaDan with triple clamps and the lights there

Back
Top Bottom