I hate this lockdown

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm not referring to COVID-19, but Mother Nature's lockdown. While impatiently waiting for the ocean and winds to calm down, Merry and I have been making dock dives in our marina. Visibility has been worse than usual. With a thick, silty bottom, all it takes is looking at the silt wrong and a cloud is created. Yesterday, Merry made a dive in two feet of visibility but came up smiling.

I knew she must have found something interesting, but it was better than that. She found a Stiliger fuscovittatus, a nudibranch that neither of had ever seen nor even heard of. I wanted to jump in the water with her camera and try for a shot or two but she said the visibility was not good enough. After much discussion, it was decided that if we went home and put my camera together I would stand a better chance with the incoming tide. Did I mention the silty bottom? The water movement of the tide actually made things worse. I found the red algae the nudibranch was on but couldn't find the nudi.

We returned to the marina this morning to find better visibility. It was close to three feet. Not only was the nudibranch not where Merry left it but the red algae was mostly gone. Things disappear fast under our boat. I've dropped many tools that were never to be seen again. I made the best of a bad situation but was still jealous of Merry.

51195853622_99a3867c6a_b.jpg

51197629045_3afa962b28_b.jpg

51198718951_c39ce55a15_b.jpg

51198006097_13901a92f1_b.jpg

51198926553_181f7aa982_b.jpg

51198716736_902bf16a03_b.jpg

51198924138_ae4b0f92a0_b.jpg

51198923348_751768bc91_b.jpg

Man, you find the coolest stuff.

Very nice!

I'm hoping to be on Catalina tomorrow for a deep wreck dive. Hopefully vis will be good. It has definitely been hit-and-miss this year.

- brett

Yep.. Seems I can get a break either. Laguna has been a wash.. literally.

The marina doesn't mind if you dive in their water?

Love the pictures. How big are these nudis you're taking photos of?

Thanks for the reply. Awesome photos of something so small.

The marina doesn't mind if you dive in there water?
People have to dive under boats that aren't trailered in order to clean the boat. Some hire the work out, some do it themselves. What's the difference between looking at the ground under your boat or turning over and looking at the hull from the marina's perspective?

Some random guy showing up with scuba gear and jumping off the dock might be a problem since you're likely trespassing in the first place. But a boat owner or someone hired by a boat owner will be fine in most marinas. I'm sure there are some out there who try to maintain a monopoly on hull cleaning or some such.

People have to dive under boats that aren't trailered in order to clean the boat. Some hire the work out, some do it themselves. What's the difference between looking at the ground under your boat or turning over and looking at the hull from the marina's perspective?

Some random guy showing up with scuba gear and jumping off the dock might be a problem since you're likely trespassing in the first place. But a boat owner or someone hired by a boat owner will be fine in most marinas. I'm sure there are some out there who try to maintain a monopoly on hull cleaning or some such.

Makes sense. Sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom