I Hate Moray Eels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Today's diving in about 90 feet of water with rough conditions.

Looks like you dive with an arsenal? Did you stab yourself?

LOL.. No I stuck my hand in a dark wet hole - without checking with a light.

It was nothing really. Nothing like a lionfish sting.

i was lucky, I've literally heard the bones in my hand crunch from a solid bite from a bigger one.

Quite a day today, we had a 40-45 ft sportfish crusing at 25 kts+ head directly at the dive float, and drive directly at out boat and never changed course or came off a plane.. Ran directly over a diver who has ascended to 20 feet and missed our entire boat by about 40 feet and the operator who was on the fly bridge never even looked as I screamed as loud as possible as he passed by 40 feet away. He did not even see a 31 ft boat, would have run the boat right over while on auto pilot one mile offshore of the inlet.... Never even turned his head as I abandoned my attempt to "protect" the dive flag/float and slammed the boat in gear and narrowly missed being completely run over.

To make it even more fun we couldn't find a diver for 20 minutes afterwards- and i was praying he was not run over and killed. I've never seen anything like it. Wish I had the Go Pro on my head..

It's interesting you brought this up... I was reflecting today about a dive we did a few months ago when a big sport fishing boat ran right through our dive and they were clearly on autopilot. They saw us and didn't give a damn. The best I could do was just run close to him to give him the middle finger salute which he didn't even acknowledge.

We had a few other minor incidents as well and one day with a 30 minutes sea fog that rolled in you could hear boats, just couldn't see them.

Anyway, I was thinking about putting police lights on my boat. Nothing crazy, just the typical flashing red and blue lights. I'm pretty sure this is illegal on the road, but I'm not aware of any laws against this on the water and since just about every boater avoids LE like the plague, I thought that may be a clever way to protect divers.

my buddy (who was litterally run over in his 23 ft boat (at anchor) put a train horn on his next boat.. runs off compressed air from a scuba tank.

Thanks for posting. Inspired a few questions:

1.) You wore gloves, I believe. Do you wear kevlar or similar gloves, to protect from moray bites? How well do they usually work (yes, I saw the bleeding!). Of course, if you've heard hand bones crunch (get fractures?) from a solid bite by a big one, obviously even if the teeth don't penetrate damage can be done.

2.) You've posted before about injuries you, and other hunters, have sustained. It's probably a thread topic in its own right, and various with the skill, safety practices, frequency, intensity & conditions I'd imagine, but in general, spear fishermen and lobster hunters:

---Over time, are there particular injuries that probably most hunters get at one time or another? Moray bites, spear fish crashed into your face, etc...?

I ask that mindful that it seems like a lot of heavy lion fish hunters get stung at some point. Just wondering how 'rough' a hobbyist occupation spearfishing proves to be over time.

Richard.

Lobster diving often involves grabbing lobsters and eels like the same holes often. You need to be careful. Some serious commercial lobster divers I know wear SS chain mesh gloves under their normal grippy dive gloves and this will protect from punctures. I usually wear kevlar gloves which provide a lot of cut protection and limited puncture protection, but just grabbed some cheap gloves on this day. I have been bit about 4 times now maybe?

Spearfishing often results in a fish spine puncture now and then - if you are not careful. my next trip to the dentist they are supposed to fix my chipped front tooth which has been like that for 20 years.. bear hugged a wounded grouper and he smashed my metal regulator into my front teeth with his tail.

A few years ago, I accidentally punctured a main nerve in my wrist while preparing to stab a fish with a stiletto knife. That was a problem and contemplated neurosurgery, but I took vitamins and it is 98% recovered now.

I think if you are careful and don't do stupid things and are lucky with sharks, it is not a big deal.. Hell i put a philips head screw driver completely through my hand a few years ago, while at home working (on a speargun with a stuck screw) so being a dumb ass is a lot more dangerous than spearfishing and catching lobster.

Back
Top Bottom