I got to go on my first dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I have finished my classes and am heading to Vortex this weekend for my checkout dives. I'll be certified by Sunday! :D Class was a lot of fun. Tommy is a GREAT instructor and I had a very good buddy. I blew a hose one night, which was interesting. I really got to see firsthand what's meant about the way sound travels underwater. I heard this whooshing noise and looked at Tommy first. No bubbles. Looked at Jason. No bubbles. Okay, must be me. So I came up and heard WHOOOSH right behind my head. Yup, that was me. Kevin turned my air off and got me a new regulator and all was well. Even though it was just 8 feet of water or so, I was still pretty proud of myself for not freaking out and thinking through the situation instead of just bolting up. I had a little bit of a cold, so had some trouble clearing my ears a few times, but nothing major and it's all cleared up now, so no problems with that, thankfully! I was worried it wouldn't be gone by Vortex. Poor Kevin. I got him sick, too, so hopefully he'll be all clear by the weekend, too.
Anyway, I've been down in Montgomery, so haven't had much chance to get on the boards and wanted to fill everyone in on class. :D I can't wait for this weekend!

Wow! You got to have a real equipment failure before even getting your happy card? How cool is that?!? :D

I know quite a few divers who've never experienced anything like that. Who knows how they'll react when it happens to them someday. As for myself, I had a yoke O-ring blow during a drysuit orientation dive (isn't Murphy a ball? :biggrin:). It was "no big deal", and the dive ended without further incident (if just a bit sooner than expected). If something like that happens to me again, it won't freak me out (although, of course, my breathing and heart rates will be somewhat elevated).

(You were shallow when it happened this time, but if you were deeper, it's no harder to go to your buddy and share a notable end of dive, provided you always remember to keep enough air to share in your buddy plan. :))

LOL, I told Kevin I was glad it happened. I had something go wrong in a controlled environment and I handled it. That adds a lot of confidence b/c now I know I can think it through. I could still breathe, so I was ok. :) I actually didn't get freaked out at all till I broke the surface and heard the air pouring out and went "****, that's loud!" If I'd been deeper, I'd just have gone to Tommy or my buddy, but the surface was closer in that instance, so that's where I went.

I got to see the whole thing from the surface and can tell you she did a great job. She was calm and collected, cant wait to get her out into the gulf!!

ATTENTION ALL!!! She is now a certified diver. She did a great job!!!

Good Job! Welcome to the undersea world!

Dave

Thanks guys! I had the best weekend. The water was COLD, but it was a lot of fun and now I'm a diver for real! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom