I got a compressor, can i fill my tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sammyman

Registered
Reaction score
I am sure everyone does it. But how? How much would it cost to modify my air compressor?

err ... what kind of compressor?

It is from costco. It has two tanks... I use it to fill tires and use power tools.

Modify it for what? What kind of compressor is it?

Not sure what you are asking? Do you have a high pressure compressor capable of doing fills to 3300 PSI or so? If so what are you thinking you need to modify? What sort of compressor do you have? If it has no filters you would need filters. Give me the info on your compressor and I will see what I can do to help.

Brent

B

Ok, I am guessing you have a $300 or so shop compressor used for general air compressor use. It is fine for use in a shop but doesn't produce air for breathing uses. It is also likely only able to produce around 150 PSi or so. This isn't enough enough to fill a scuba tank to the generally accepted standard of an "empty" tank, 500PSI.

Scuba compressors are not generally sold at costco. They generally start at around $3500 and go up from there. They product fills much higher than shop compressors, mine pumps to 5000 PSI, and my shop compressor only pumps to 150.

Hope this helps, I could be wrong and you could have gotten something special from costco but I really dont' think so.

Brent

Yes, you can filter the air from a shop compressor and make it breathing quality.

No, you can't pump to a high enough pressure to fill a scuba flask.

Dang! $3500. Forget it. I thought it would be nice to do it all yourself. Nice dream. Thanks for the input.

You're never going to build a fill station cheap enough for it to make financial sense. My buddy and I put ours together on a budget. We got an old 3.5 CFM Bauer (newly rebuilt) for $800 with a small stack and some sepertators. After adding all the plumbing, an electric motor, fittings, gauges, an additional tall stack, we built the thing for about $2600. Another $400 for the 1st set of filters and some O2 and He for mix fills got us pumping for $3K.

Back
Top Bottom