I found this tank and have a few questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RasRitz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

I found this tank today at a garage sale. As I am a noobee, I dont know what to make of it. I am going to take it in to a LDS sometime soon and have them service it but I thought I would ask about it here first.

1. What type of valve is this one? Din or Yoke? 134_1353_9_3_1.JPG

2. How can i find out the size of it? There is a bunch of numbers stamped into it but they make no sense to me.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
jpg.gif
134_1351_7_3_1.JPG

jpg.gif
134_1350_6_3_1.JPG

jpg.gif
134_1349_5_3_1.JPG

jpg.gif
134_1348_4_3_1.JPG

Attachments

• 134_1353_9_3_1.JPG
    134_1353_9_3_1.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 173
  • 134_1351_7_3_1.JPG
    134_1351_7_3_1.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 134_1350_6_3_1.JPG
    134_1350_6_3_1.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 134_1349_5_3_1.JPG
    134_1349_5_3_1.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 134_1348_4_3_1.JPG
    134_1348_4_3_1.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 117
I lived in Qeensland, Brisbane and Near mckay in the early 80's

When you plan to get get certified, they will teach yo what the symbols and numbers mean. It is older then you are. I would cut the end off and turn it into a mail box.

If you want to see if you can get it current, look up a fire safety place. These are the guys that do hydros on cylinders, fire extingushers, o2 bottles ,etc. The dive shop is just going to send it to them anyway and charge you more money for the hydro and vip.

This tank predates the cylinder certifications, it has an "E" exemption number, it should have been over stamped 3AL.

Thanks for the quick reply Skubakris.

And thanks for the advice on the fire safety place. I think I will take it to see if I can get it current. Hopefully it is still safe to use. But if it isn't, then oh well.

I would cut the end off and turn it into a mail box.
:rofl3:

It would make a pretty cool mailbox!!

Thanks,
Chris

I have always wanted to make one. Cut the end off, hinge it then attach a flag, dive flag off course.

What kind of diving do you do out there?

I was certified by this agency to do VIP's in the 80's The web site will give you lots of info. The tank you have should be a 6351 alloy. I would dump it and buy a new one. scubatoys.com is where I buy my tanks, normally $125.00- $135.00 U.S. and I was paying about $6- $12 shipping.

http://www.psicylinders.com/

If you search Florida on their instructor map, I am the first one, Amphibian Divers. The email has changed. I have requested a change.

I can't read the numbers so well, but it has a yoke J valve on it. This is an older style valve with a built in reserve. As the tank would drain, it would get harder to breathe and the diver would pull down the lever (no longer attached) to activate the reserve.

Good luck!

Cut a slot in it and make it into a bank to collect change for scuba gear/trips etc....

If the tank is in good shape - use it. Why ruin a perfectly good tank? Get it hydro'd and go from there.

If I saw correctly and the other posters are right, its steel. There are many steel cylinders dating back to WWII in use in the gas trade. Age doesn't destroy tanks, poor storage and mis use does.

Yes, it's a "reserve" type yoke valve, not sold much since the 1980's.

Does the cylinder attract a magnet? That's the steel or aluminum test. Many of the cylinders without a "neck" were made by Walter Kidde in the US or Europe. The cylinder may be perfectly usable. Here in Florida, USA, some dive stores don't fill the old ones. They are afraid of finding that one in a million that might fail. A diver can have one that is old, still good, and be stuck.

Your local extinguisher service provider should be able to identify it. Let us know. I'm curious, because I used to work in the business. Getting that valve in good order, or finding a replacement may be cost-prohibitive.

I hope you can get it in working order. That's a longshot, but you would have the only one like it on the reef.

By the way.... have any of you divers ever cut a cylinder in half? At home? With hand tools?

ScubaKris:
scubatoys.com is where I buy my tanks, normally $125.00- $135.00 U.S. and I was paying about $6- $12 shipping.
OP is in Australia. It would probably be better for him to buy one locally. Shipping to Australia would probably be more than $12.

RasRitz:
Hello,

I found this tank today at a garage sale. As I am a noobee, I dont know what to make of it. I am going to take it in to a LDS sometime soon and have them service it but I thought I would ask about it here first.

Last I heard, The Dive Bell was still operating in Townsville. If so take that tank to them. As a hydrostatic testing facility they will not only be able to answer your questions but will be able to test it for you. If Nick is still there tell him I said "Hi".

Back
Top Bottom