I finally bought a house in Cave Country! W00T!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Moose did a fantastic job of cleaning the work shop up. I helped a bit, but he did the lion's share. While we were at it, we discovered a half dozen studs that need to be replaced.

9lLHAEur3gv8Rrk5kZNW1-6CfBuwZFilaDylHn26_FNKOjQkV9VznXTTW1TTtPWWMzumWw8wWsT1CtQMp3=w1225-h919-no.jpg

Today I installed a new fuse box in the work shop. I started by digging a trench between the main breaker and the workshop, put in 35 ft of 6 gauge wire with a 60 amp breaker on the main. I installed a 3/4" backboard and the 120 amp breaker box on top of that. I've connected in two of the existing circuits and plan on adding more in the next few days.

Nice that the walls are already open.

Nice that the walls are already open.
I really like that too. It will make adding the new wiring very easy.

Thinking out loud, I'm going to run the outlets in three different zones with a 20 amp breaker on each one. One for each side and one for the rear. I'm also going to run a 15 amp breaker for the 8 LED shop lights I have coming, another 20 amp breaker for a compressor I'll be putting outside the shop and a 220v 30 amp breaker for a TIG. I haven't decided where to safely put the TIG or my torches. I might do a lean to on the side of the workshop to keep it out in the open and away from combustibles. I also need to see if I can convert the motor on the compressor to 220V. That would be my choice and I think it might be possible.

I saw a 10x10? metal shed with sliding door for 200 bucks @ lowes or home depot ad yesterday. I wanted one just because it was so cheap. Sounds like you're constructing Paradise. Have at it

Last edited:
Thinking out loud, I'm going to run the outlets in three different zones with a 20 amp breaker on each one. One for each side and one for the rear. I'm also going to run a 15 amp breaker for the 8 LED shop lights I have coming, another 20 amp breaker for a compressor I'll be putting outside the shop and a 220v 30 amp breaker for a TIG. I haven't decided where to safely put the TIG or my torches. I might do a lean to on the side of the workshop to keep it out in the open and away from combustibles. I also need to see if I can convert the motor on the compressor to 220V. That would be my choice and I think it might be possible.

what is the motor now? I have a really good hookup *get my work pricing for personal purchases* on motors and drives, so let me know if you need anything

Isn't there supposed to be a wasp's nest in the pole breaker box? I always see them in there, thought it might be a code requirement.

We been busy...

S/V Paradise Cafe

I'll try to keep up, though.

DC

I saw a 10x10? metal shed with sliding door for 200 bucks @ lowes or home depot ad yesterday. I wanted one just because it was so cheap. Sounds like you're constructing Paradise. Have at it
This is more like 30x24 and it is my workshop. I've always enjoyed woodworking, and when I made one move in the Keys, I had to give away all of my woodworking machines. Coral restoration benefitted from that. I still have a nice drill press, as well as Ryobi cutoff-saw, routers and hand power tools that will be making their way here at some point thanks to @jblack. Last week I picked up a really nice used Delta 10" radial arm saw and ordered a 10" Jet table saw, a 13" Rigid planer, and a 14" Shop Fox band saw. The first two have arrived and are waiting for Dan and me to finish the clean out and structural repairs before I move them inside. They are in boxes under tarps at the moment. I'm going to spray foam the bottom of the roof as well as the sides. I'll probably do a roof over with Ondura to keep things really dry. I got to unpack the Jet and the Rigid today after @Moose finished pressure washing.

I had also bought a shop crane to pull out fence posts and am glad I did. When I finished putting the legs on the Jet table saw, I tried to flip it upright. No way. It was way too heavy, so I swung over the crane, bolted a chain to the table and easily lifted it up. I didn't need any help... just a bit of thinking.

BTW, most fence posts are easy to pull as they're only a foot or two in the soil. The corners and the ends are the problems. They are half again bigger and they go four feet deep. We got one out by jury rigging a floor jack, but I bet the shop crane will make quick work of each one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom