I failed the pool test!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would've been nice to spend more time on EACH skill. However, I did not pay for the class and the person that did would have to get a refund from his own friend. It's a crappy situation to be in, so I'll suck it up. I plan to practice a lot more in my girlfriend's parents pool (heated) and with her brother afterwards (he's an instructor). Also, we have all our rental gear while they are sorting out dates so that's good (free of charge of course).

I would advise against practicing in the pool by yourself, hopefully you mean her instructor brother will be in the pool.

I agree with RJP, it's so easy for those of us that have ben diving awhile to take things for granted that new students don't even have a clue. New students are often naive and trusting, hesitant to make waves or challenge the instructor on anything.

And I've also seen shops that tell the prospective student whatever they want to hear to sell them on the OW class then spring the surprises later. They don't lie if asked but they don't volunteer stuff like how cold it will be or all the stuff you have to buy unless you think to ask.

As a newly certified diver I would like to say that This was a real JOKE.

When you are getting certified the instruction and pool time should be about learning the skills that are needed to make you a safe diver. You cannot do this if your environment is uncomfortable.

When I went for my class room and pool classes. I knew that the LDS I was using had there own pool and keeps it at 90 degrees so that the students can concentrate on learning the skills needed and not how cold they are.

When I set up my classes I knew that I was going to do my open waters in two ports of a cruise on the Mexican Riviera so that I would not have to do my open waters in the cold murky waters of Minnesota. I wanted to enjoy the dives and not have to worry about freezing my A** at home.

When I did my first two dives in PV the water temp was about 63 Degrees. I was in a 5 mil wet suit and was getting perrty cold by the time I was done. There was a young girl along that weighed about 90 pounds who could not even start her second dive because she was so cold, she was also in a 5 mil wetsuit. She was still shivering when we got back to the dock 2 hours after the first dive.

Another student had to rush his second dive to get all the skills tested as soon as possible to get out of the water as soon as possible because of the cold water.

I can not think of a better way to turn people away from diving than to make it an ordeal to get certified.

Or a better way to get people hurt or killed than rush them though their instruction and have them not have a grasp of the skill that are needed to dive safley and enjoyably.

Just my two cents worth

The water temp was 53 degrees and the outside temp is around 45ish. At least that is what the sign said at the bank.

So thats what it said at the "bank" What was the actual water temp? If the other lads jumped in and said it was cold that is one thing. 53 would have left the nads of any olympic champ on the floor of the pool. The water could have not been that cold.

That being said......if it was "for you" then you should do your test in gear that kept you reasonable for the test.

Anyway, seems strange that you and the rest of the group did not secumb to hypothermia during the test if the water was that cold.

I did my confined water in a heated, indoor pool, which was 84 degrees. I'm 5'4" and 120 lbs, and I got thrown out of the pool before the end of the session because I was shivering violently. I don't think there is any way on EARTH you could get me INTO 53 degree water without a dry suit. And with that, and an infinite number of undergarments, I'm still getting pretty cold at the end of an hour.

If you were, in fact, in this water without exposure protection, it was not only incompetent but reprehensible of the instructor to allow you to do so. Hypothermia is DANGEROUS -- You can die from it. Even moderate hypothermia affects your ability to think, your coordination, and your strength. If you had exposure protection, but it was inadequate, it's still poor performance on the part of your instructor not to notice that. You should not be expected to adapt to hypothermia. One of the big things about recreational diving is to learn to use the right exposure protection to AVOID getting cold!

I'm with what was said above. You didn't fail. You survived an unfair and potentially harmful test of your gumption.

I just don't understand how a trained professional instructor could allow an OW student to enter 53 water without protection. I did my OW pool sessions in Jan. in SoCA outside pool and still was very cold with my 7mm rental during all the skills, drills, and intro. swims.

Yeah. What (almost) everyone said. That's just too damned cold to be without thermal protection. (For laughs, look up the relevant sections from PADI's Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving and share them with your instructor.)

I write to strongly suggest that you find out if there are any lap swimming sessions at local heated pools. If so, do some regular lap swimming. When you get the hang of that, swim with your mask and snorkel. When you get the hang of that, add your fins.

Once you're comfortable with mask, snorkel and fins, you'll be halfway there to diving comfort.

That sucked! Today we were scheduled to do ALL our pool work and do our final tests (written). It was myself and two other students.

We get there and the first thing the instructor says was "get in the water and do four laps, just fins and snorkel"

. . .

They are already done and begin their survival float. I start to swim and keep drinking pool water!

Aside from the dangerously cold water, I am concerned about your instructor's understanding of the PADI's rules.

Fins and snorkel aren't allowed for the 200 yd qualifying swim - and I don't believe you're supposed to be allowed to begin skill training until after you pass the qualifying swimming exam - distance and survival floating.

Others have already commented that OW requires 4 dives.

Find another instructor. If this one exposes you to dangerous conditions on the qualifying test and doesn't know the course guidelines I would be skeptical about anything else the instructor taught.

Water Skills Assessment
[Students must demonstrate, in confined water, they
possess reasonable aquatic ability without using equipment
before they participate in open water dives. At some
point prior to certification, they must also complete a 200
metres/yard continuous surface swim or a 300 metre/yard
mask, snorkel and fin swim, plus a swim/float without using
a mask, fins, snorkel or any other swim aid
. Following
the confined water dive, or within it, you may get some
of this out of the way.

It sounds to me like your best course of action is to have your girlfriends brother certify you! You have nothing to gain by finishing the class and nothing to loose really since you didn't pay for it. Even if you were to finish this class with the type and amount of instruction you have described you may very well hurt or kill yourself diving on your own afterwards. If you want to learn to dive, find a better instructor. You'll be glad you did later on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom