I drank the GUE Fundies Kool-Aid and survived!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey posters, everyone keeps telling me that this is a great thread. I started the thread but without you all, I would be talking to myself (well I do that already but that's not the point).

Each poster deserves credit for the quality and the direction of this thread. In other words the thread is great because everyone is sharing their thoughts in an honest and non-hostile manner.

Major kudos to you all and let's keep the lines of communication going....anyone else wanna share their GUE fundies story or comments?

Coming fresh off the fundies class and my first experience with a GUE class, I still do not understand the animosity toward GUE and its teaching.

It's a silly arguement...perpetuated by people who had nothing to do with the original issue.

In it's early days, a representative of GUE presented a very out-spoken criticism of non-DIR divers. This provoked a high degree of counter-hostility. None of that is relevant now, but some people don't let it drop.

It's a silly arguement...perpetuated by people who had nothing to do with the original issue.

In it's early days, a representative of GUE presented a very out-spoken criticism of non-DIR divers. This provoked a high degree of counter-hostility. None of that is relevant now, but some people don't let it drop.

Yes, I knew about the out-spoiken representative and his infamous internet rants but to color everyone with the same brush makes no sense at all.

I hope we can all judge the inidividual rather than the agency because the agency did not teach me to rant like a lunatic about their teachings.

For anyone sensible, the old arguement has no relevance any more. I am not GUE qualified, but do know several GUE instructors. It's a great system...and if money/time/distance was no object I would love to progress in that system.

While I agree with you, I can promise you there were (are)a lot more DIR horses rears than just one. There were several on this board who would attack a non-DIR diver at any oppertunity, thankfully they are gone and this board was a lot more civil than others. Most of the problems came from fresh out of DIR-F students sucked down way too much coolaid.

Most of the problems came from fresh out of DIR-F students sucked down way too much coolaid.

...and not even humble pie. :idk:

Well, the problem was (from my perspective) that it (DIR) seemed a cool band-wagon to jump on....and, other than the original guy (GI) making the cricitisms, it must have felt very self-congratulatory for his sycophants to echo his arguements.

The original 'storm' certainly did a lot to raise the profile of GUE, which recieved/s publicity out of all proportion to its tiny size in the dive education marketplace. Sadly, it also created a public perception that the DIR crowd were a bunch of blinkered, aggressive and close-minded bunch. Obviously, that was incorrect, but a minority is all it took to blacken the general perception of them.

Thankfully, the original 'hard-line' is/has now been replaced with a reputation for quality education and a much more respectful and tolerant attitude towards other diving methodologies and organizations.

<snipped>
Thankfully, the original 'hard-line' is/has now been replaced with a reputation for quality education and a much more respectful and tolerant attitude towards other diving methodologies and organizations.

Ahh, there you are, Andy! I thought you'd have less time online now that the weather's great in Subic again? Hehe ;P

But you're right. I'm glad the GUE/DIR reputation nowadays is more about the quality education through the training courses. I took the class because I knew that it would help me become a better diver, not because I wanted a "badge".

It's become valuable to me when diving with other DIR-practicing divers, regardless of certifying agency. The comfort and confidence you get underwater heightens your dive experience to the max. More time to explore, more time to enjoy :)

@ Kathydeee - to be honest, I seriously don't know the headcount of GUE divers here in the Philippines. I personally know 8 Filipinos and 1 Englishman, so that's 10 of us in total. We've got a lot of DIR-divers, though. Fun, fun, fun! :)

anyone else wanna share their GUE fundies story or comments?

Mmmmm.............no. Congratulations to you all for taking the class. Bob is the best. Take the class sooner rather than later. Ten years of solo diving is a hard habit to give up and did nothing to help me in the class. I think everyone should learn the back kick before the class. It's a hoot wether you take the class or not. I also think you should work on controlled descents and ascents before the class, especially if you have a drysuit (more especially, if you have one that doesn't vent so effortlessly). I'm still working on that, solo, in a deep, dark hillbilly lake with zero visual references. It's weird. Take the class when you're younger and things are more automatic and you have not acquired layers of bad habits. Lastly, please avail yourself of the FREE introduction, wether you intend to take the class or not (especially if you already know everything). It won't hurt you.............that much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom