I dont want to be a "Quarry Dive Master"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also rarely use a dm unless I am training one. I never use one certified elsewhere unless they can bring "something to the table."
Jim wrote "knowing how to calculate deco obligations in an emergency". Such as accidently exceeding NDL time.
Yes it is a required PADI open water certification skill/knowledge. During academic module 4 and 5 when going over the RDP under "emergency decompression". Info is on the back side of the RDP and on the inside cover of the eRDPml. Accidentally Exceed NDL by no more than 5 minutes gets you a required deco stop at 15 ' for 8 minutes and no diving for 6 hours..exceed NDL by MORE than 5 minutes and that gets you a deco stop of AT LEAST 15 minutes and no diving for 24 hrs. It is also on the written final exam as well as in knowledge reviews.

What to do in this situation is also taught in the computer version of the OW course.

I reviewed both the table rules and the computer process, explaining why they are so very different, Wednesday evening in the DM class I am currently teaching (along with other shop staff).

---------- Post added November 30th, 2012 at 09:04 AM ----------

Allow me to explain my point about instructors not using DMs in case it was too subtle.

The shop where I work rarely uses DMs during instruction as well, but it does use them. The key point is that it uses DMs when there are enough students in the class to warrant that extra help. Otherwise, it is an unnecessary expense that increases the overhead cost of instruction. Since most courses do not have enough students to justify that added expense, most courses do not include a DM. If the shop were really packing in the students, then DMs would be in more demand, and they would be paid more.

That is why DMs who are looking for experience and perhaps going on to the instructor ranks eventually are willing to work for low or even no pay. If they refused to do so, they would not get any work at all.

SEI includes decompression stop calculations using Navy air deco tables. There are specific obligations based on depth and time. There is no such thing as extending a safety stop. Extending bottom times over the NDL are broken down in 5 minute increments.
For example on our tables the NDL for 90 feet is 24 minutes. 25 minutes and it is now a decompression dive by our standards and is treated as a dive lasting up to 35 minutes which requires:
a 2 minute 20 second ascent to a deco stop at 20 feet for 23 minutes.

and just as an example here are the following obligations for different lengths of time for the same 90ft dive
up to 40 minutes - same ascent rate, stop for 31 minutes at 20 feet
up to 45 minutes - same ascent rate, stop for 39 minutes at 20 feet
up to 50 minutes - same ascent rate, stop for 56 minutes at 20 feet.

We also recommend they stay out of the water for at least 12 hours.

This is done for a couple reasons. One is that SEI, like the YMCA before it, certifies OW divers to 100 ft. We recommend staying above 60 UNTIL the diver gains some experience and works up to those deeper dives. But the philosophy is to give them all the tools to plan, execute, and safely return from those dives without having to come back for more training unless they want to. Is more training recommended? Yes but it is not required.

What this does is provide a margin of safety in knowing how to do this should they decide to extend their dives and if the would run over the NDL they know what to do. But what it also does, and I find this to be a real eye opener for some, is when we go over dive planning, tables, and gas management it really makes them think.

Divers calculate their SAC rates in the pool in my classes. I try to do this before the tables/gas management lecture. When they know their SAC rate, see how long they have to stay in the water if they exceed their NDL's, and realize that somewhere in the middle of that deco stop that they may/will run out of air they appreciate the need for staying within the NDL's and planning the dives. It directly translates to them being much more aware of the importance of monitoring their gas supply and that of their buddy.

The Deco Table, "Table D" is on the back of every set of SEI tables. And it's required that we cover it and there are questions on the final exam. We can also add as many as we want to make sure they understand it.

SEI includes decompression stop calculations using Navy air deco tables.
We also recommend they stay out of the water for at least 12 hours.

I believe there is another reason specifically for the 12 hours recommendation. The Navy air tables were designed by Workmann to use the 120 minute compartment as the one that controls surface intervals. Since 6 half times is considered close enough to be considered 100%, 6 iterations of 120 minutes (12 hours) means the table is washed out at that point.

In researching the RDP, PADI discovered that for the diving done within those limits, the 40 minute compartment safely controlled the surface intervals. They used the 60 minute compartment, though, to add a safety margin. That is why the PADI tables wash out at 6 hours. (For those of you with PADI tables, find the longest listed surface interval to see what I mean.)

I will add a few thughts to the discussion, possibly at some risk of hijcking the thread (back to what you originally asked about). :)
I am from a land-locked area (near DC) and most of the dive shops here do not have local diving except for Quarries that are mostly for certification purposes. I have the option of doing my Dive Master training locally where I will have the chance to work with student groups in pools and quarries, or going somewhere else where there is real open ocean diving.
This is a common dilemma for people who want to increase their involvement in the dive industry, but as a part-time rather than full-time acitvity. And, your goal of gaining open-ocean DM experience is a good one. My take is probably somewhat closer to Herman's (no big surprise there, we both did our DM through, and are affiliated with, the same shop). A good DM program, even if quarry-based, will help you develop quite a few skills that are useful across a variety of dive environments. For example, PADI DM training emphasizes instructional support activities, which include not only developing certain demonstration-quality dive skills but leading diver groups, doing Scuba Reviews, leading Discover Scuba sessions, providing appropriate student group control, etc. I suspect that other agency DM programs are similarly focused and offer considerable value, even if conducted in a quarry environment. As part of DM, our candidates also learn the intricacies of our fill station operation. What we noticed was missing from our program was one aspect of 'open ocean' diving - boat operations. So, we began adding that as an optional experience several years ago. We set up 1-2 charters out of Cape Hatteras each summer, usually toward the end of the summer when most of our DM candidates will have either completed everything else or already be certified, so the DMCs and DMs can gain experience with the logisitics of dive boat operations, an awareness of what the captain expects of DMs, and some of the challenges of the 'open ocean' side of things. I am not suggesting this is the equivalent of working on a dive boat for a year by any means. But, it moves the DM beyond the 'quarry-only' dimension. I think it has turned out to be quite valuable for our DMs, and that might be one avenue to address your interests in a more rounded DM program. Sometyhing you might suggest to your LDS, in fact.

As a DM, I gained a lot of experience in shop operations simply by hanging out at the shop (I would often drop by at lunch for an hour or so, and while there offer to help fill tanks, gather rental gear that was going out, etc). That was volunteer work, but I used it as a vehicle to gain experience, and exposure to the shop owner and shop manager. I took a Gas Blender course through the shop, so I actually had some skills to blend gases, and that put me in a position to offer to not only do air fills, but other fills as well. (I still do that when I am there, and a need arises, although I don't get paid specifically for filling / blending.) Part of the Gas Blender course was learning how to perform oxygen cleaning of cylinders and valves. I now do that (for pay) when I can. I took the PSI VIP course and now do VIP{s (for pay) whenever I drop by, and there are cylinders to be VIP'd. IOW, I kept the day job, did what you might coinsder to be a 'quarry DM', expanded that through a combination of volunteer effort and additional specialized training, and it opened some doors for me at the shop to do other things.
CAPTAIN SINBAD:
in all honesty, I can not convince myself that there is any such thing as a "Quarry Dive-Master." Part of me says I should get certified through my LDS as a "Quarry Dive Master" since this would result in developing good contacts with local dive community and dive shops etc.
There really isn't such a thing. I think you are underestimating what you could gain from a good 'local' DM program.
CAPTAIN SINBAD:
My goal will be to gather experience in different aspects of dive business from operating compressors to leading dives and yes a chance to get wet in those waters would be greatly appreciated. Am I still expecting too much as a DM?
Not necessarily. But, I think the likelihood of getting to do some of these things may actually be greater where you have a local connection. As many have noted, most of the 'DM' types in resort areas are actually instructors. There is certainly an adequate supply of instructors looking for a warm tropical place to live cheap and dive. As a DM, and definitely as a DM candidate, you are competing with people who simply have a whole lot more to offer a dive operation - a credential if nothing else.

If you decide to travel for a few years to gain experience, more power to do. But, even as free labor, what do you really offer? And, therefore, what is the basis for you making a connection with a dive op in the Caribbean, for example? Not saying it cannot happen, just commenting on the reality.

On the other hand, if you do DM though a shop in an area where you are local, and establish the connection, and put yourself in the position to help out - even on a volunteer basis at first - you might find your chances of gaining some of the experience that you are seeking are fairly decent, perhaps even better than if you traveled. PLus, you keep up the day job income income.

Now, one other point, that was also mentioned. If you want to be a good DM, you really need not only the formal training, you need the breadth of dive experience. So, pony up the money for some 'open-ocean' diving each year. We use DMs as trip leaders on many of our summer coastal charters. But, they are also DMs with previous charter trip experience, who can usually talk about whatever wreck the boat is going to on a weekend charter, because they already dove it. You may be 'land locked' but in the DC area you are still not terribly far from some pretty good ocean diving.

Back
Top Bottom