I don't get the wrist mount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NuttyGambler

Reaction score
OK, I have gone the way of BP and wings. Have not changed my hoses, because I don't cave dive and hate to "waste" good hoses.

But I don't get the wrist mounted arguements. I bought a Cobra computer console and like it. I now need a compass, and do think I am am going to add it to the console. I mean, when cold water diving, getting gloves on or off is one of the hardest parts of gearing up. Why do you want extra "junk" on your wrists to get in the way, when you can have everthing in one place?

What am I missing?

NG,
i think the purpose of having your computer on your right wrist is because of the following reasons:
easy to glance at wrist, rather than reach to console, maybe unclip it, look at guage and the replace in holder.
easy to scratch - although i have scratched my computer when on my wrist. a solution would be to rotate it so it lies on the inside of your wrist.
when ascending in the blue, in a current (add the worst case scenario here), you would probably need to adjust buoyancy with your inflator/deflator (LH side), then you can effortlessly see your computer on your RH wrist and be aware of your acsent rate.
also perhaps you are hanging on a deco-bar or anchor line in a ripping current, it would be loads easier to glance at your wrist.

i dont know how easy it is to follow a bearing on the cobra compass as opposed to the wrist mount.

i do think that the cobra is a great piece of kit, and i like the fact that one look gives you time, depth, NDL and air pressure left. however, i have trained myself to look at my computer and then at SPG, so its not an issue for me.

ultimately its what you like and what works for you.
cheers,
jim

Having the compass and computer on the wrists makes it easier to see them. In particular having the computer on your right wrist allows you to view depth and ascent info while operating you LPI with your left hand. Having the compass on your wrist allows you to easily keep it flat.

Also it's much quicker and natural to move your arm to get the info than finding the console and moving that.

But unless you're hell bent on being DIR then it's just personal preference.

Thanks for the comments. Yes I can see the accent for the wrist mounted computer arguement.

I usually either do free accents where I have my left hand on the inflator hose and grap the console with my right and watch it monitoring all the info.

If I'm hanging on a line at 15 ft, I no longer need the inflator hose so that can now have a hand freed up.

BUT, yes if you need to hold a line and accend I can see where a wrist mount would be nice. Maybe that is why folks run one of each I guess. :)

With the compass, to me I check my console so often, that it would seem like a good place to be checking my heading to insure I'm not going in a completely different direction. If one was actually trying to do exact compass work. I would think a wrist would be more accurate. To me, I will generally be using the compass as a occational item. MAYBE a retractor mounted compass is best so it doesn't get all scratched up though. I know not DIR at all.

I do already have several scratches in the computer protector plastic thing. Hate how that happens.

My reasons for a wrist mount computer are:

- If I'm going on a business trip, it's easy to grab and bring with me, and it's not a lot of extra gear. Bringing my reg is a lot to bring 'in case' I end up finding some diving.

- Night diving. Dealing with your inflator, a light, a console, and holding onto an ascent line in a current is a lot of hassle. With the wrist computer, I just turn it to the inside of my wrist, and I can look at it as I'm holding onto the line.

try a wrist mount bottom timer/depth gauge and a wrist mount compass for 5-10 dives and I bet you won't go back... It is so efficient and easy...

no brainer... just try it

If your doing accurate compass work then wrist or console are both bad places. The wrist mount gives you a tendancy to bear off to the side of the attaching arm as it relaxes

Best place for a compass is on a line/retractor from the upper harness so you can lift it and hold it centrally with BOTH hands right in front of you.

I do some cave surveying and that the only way that works accurately. However for swimming one way and then back for a normal dive you can mount it wherever is comfortable and away from metal or electrical objects. If you consule mount you need to be VERY certain that the compass is not deviated

I switched my Vyper from console to wrist this year and it works much better for me. I moved my compass from the console to a retractor for now because I didn't want to spend another $50 for the Suunto wristmount compass. It's a bummer that the Suunto console mounted compass I have isn't wristmount compatible, you have to buy a whole new compass. The retractor seems to work fine for now, I just ran a large key ring through the holes on the bottom of the compass to connect it to the retractor.
If you are holding your arms together in front of you, hand on hand you have all of your information right in front of you to see, compass on left, computer on right. There is no extra hassle of pulling a console out whether it be clipped off or on a retractor and then having to hold it in your hand/hands. When it's on your wrist it's right where you know it's at. If you need to use your hands for something else quick, you don't have to drop your console for a minute and then try and find it again.

GP,

I did the same thing earlier this year - but was able to sell my empty console with just the compass attached for more than it cost me to buy a *new* compass from an online shop and have it shipped :) Suunto really holds its value on eBay, regardless of what it is.

Ben

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom