I did it! I am NAUI certified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shellbird

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Well, for those of you intending to get your OW certification, I would like to share my experience with you. Let me start by saying I live in New England and water temp. was 50 degrees. Air temp. in the mid-70s. So - what does that mean, donning full wetsuit and gear, sweating your pitoot off and dying to get into the water asap to cool down. It was a shore dive and entry was tricky due to slippery rocks. Once in the water and in the appropriate dive spot, I felt competely physically drained (and I am in pretty good shape!) this added to my apprehension, and I told the instructor "I'm scared and feeling tired", he knew me and exactly what to do, I just needed some reassurance me and his to tap into his confidence. Once on the desent I did well and because of the low vis felt a little anxious at the bottom and had to take a few seconds to gain my composure. Once I did I grew gills! It was amazing down there, I was comfortable, the wetsuit kept me warm, the equipment was excellent and I saw some marine life. Did well on skills and was disappointed to have to surface. The worst part of the experience for me was all the equipment. Putting it on was tiresome, the re-entry into the water draining for all 5 dives but IMMENSELY WORTH IT! I finished my certification and have a great sence of pride and the experience although at times challenging, overall was exhiliariting and gratifying. For those of you out there going through it - GOOD LUCK! It is such a hoot!:pbounce:

I just purchased a BC and am in the process of buying a regulator. I plan on diving with some members of SCUBAboard next weekend!

I have to admit, I am apprehensive about diving w/strangers. Any advice? I don't have the luxury of a dive buddy so I have to seek them out.

Gosh, you caught me. I was certified a few weeks ago. Sunday I went to Twin Lakes (with hubby) hoping to meet a few local divers. But being shy, I only worked my way up to saying "Hi" and a brief chat about conditions.

Oh well, I will keep at it. I am sure someone else on this board will have advice for you. Good Luck. It looks like I should turn to you for advice after your upcoming dive this weekend!
-DD

I'll let you know how it goes! Congratulations to you as well!

Congratulations shellbird im glad to hear that all went well, and enjoy.:)

:)

any suggesions on choosing a dive buddy? I am at a disadvantage. I am the only one I know who dives!!!

you know I am kind of in the same situation as you are. I have alway for the most part dove solo, because all my friends are non divers ( mostly all bikers) and I dont dive as often because of of that, it is more fun and safer to have someone with you.
But i just recently moved to Vancouver Wa and have made a few trips into the local dive shop, where I have met a few people. They had a treasure hunt this last weekend and I went out and introduced myself to some of the divers, sat and talked to them for awhile, watched them dive,get there gear ready, and saw how they helped each other out, I did not dive though. I felt very comfortable with them, they were a very nice group of people and were very interested in having me join, I gave them my email, and mailing info. They notify people each weekend of dives and all are welcome to participate.
Maybe if your LDS has a club or group function of this kind you could do some what the same thing to find a person or persons that you would be comfortable with and would enjoy diving with.
I hope this helps. There are alot of really good people out there. good luck and let me know how thing work out.:)

Originally posted by shellbird
any suggesions on choosing a dive buddy? I am at a disadvantage. I am the only one I know who dives!!!

I went through the same thing, being newly certified and only knowing one other diver, who happens to be away every weekend!

Within a month or so of starting diving, I checked out a couple dive clubs and ended up hooking up with one. Clubs have a lot of opportunities for getting together and diving, and they all are really welcoming for non-members as well ["show up and dive with us, then get to a meeting if you can and see what you think"].

My first suggestion is to try and find a club to join up with, my club is where I met MSilvia and found out about this board in the first place. You can find other divers, as well as finding plenty of diving opportunities. The other thing is to look into the dive shops in your area, see if they have shore diving programs. Take a look at where you'd want to go diving, and then start looking into who gets together and dives there.

And of course, there is here! Sounds like you're already all set for the 15th as far as people go, and I know there are a few people down in CT that you can probably hook up with to do some diving a little closer to home.

and Welcome to our passion!

Next time you're sweating your ___ off - Remember us in TX! - I've already said good-bye to those nice cool temperatures you quoted for the next 6 months or so!

Question - towards your lack of dive partners - My LDS is quite good about either matching folks up that are calling for partners or at least staying in touch - - - Perhaps you can get some help from yours!?!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom