i-das or ULC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cool79

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,
I am planning to get additional arm and clamp for my setup. Would like to add in my additional videolight to the right side, as the left side i would be having my strobe.

Here is my current setup.
ULC tray, extension is I Das
Left handle is ULC, with 2 ULC Clamp, 7 inches ULC arm and ULC holder for my strobe Z240
Right is I Das handle with I Das clamp with videolight. (Would like to get a 5" arm and another clamp)

I am current deciding on both brands, should i go for ULC or I Das for the additional of 5" arm and clamp?

I was thinking of getting I Das 5" arm and mix with ULC clamp.

ULC feel smoother than comparing with I Das clamp...

Any advise?

The iDas arms are fine, the clamps are not anywhere near as nice as the UL versions.
Supposedly there are NEW iDas clamps but I haven't seen them, the old ones chew up your ball ends.
Bill

.... and "v1" idas clamps corrode like crazy......untill they jam up and have to use heat to get them loose (ref. Goldish color)

1e54981b0605b4e9bdfbcee44c40867e.jpg

The iDas arms are fine, the clamps are not anywhere near as nice as the UL versions.
Supposedly there are NEW iDas clamps but I haven't seen them, the old ones chew up your ball ends.
Bill

Thanks Bill for the advise.

.... and "v1" idas clamps corrode like crazy......untill they jam up and have to use heat to get them loose (ref. Goldish color)

1e54981b0605b4e9bdfbcee44c40867e.jpg

Thanks a lot, a picture really explain a thousand words!!!

would get a ULC Clamp and a IDas arm. :)

The newer clamps (sold now for about 14 months) have a plastic handle with a ss insert that does not corrode.

I put about 8 of them on a line over the edge of my boat for about 2 weeks and they were fine. We've never broken one of the handles, even by over-tightening with a pair of pliers. They are much smoother than the original model. They are in the process of slightly redesigning them so that they won't scar the ball heads of the arms, but we haven't seen that revision yet. But it is very minor.

CL-138II-2.jpg cl-138.jpg

That being said, if you want a really good clamp then the Nauticam clamp is the best I've used. Much smoother and easy to adjust then the UCLS.

NAU-Clamp.jpg NAU-Clamp-2.jpg

I have both clamps and ULC feel much better when I am adjusting.

Like what Bill has stated, iDas feel like it is chewing up the ball ends.

Also I am looking into the iDas adapter for my G12, looks like only iDas has the flip option, but I am worried that it will spoilt the front part of my housing

I have I-das, UCL, and Nauticam...the Nauticam are the best, followed by UCL, then I-Das...I have all I-das arms and they're fine.

That said, my I-das clamps have worked well for a number of years and multiple trips. Rinsed and taken care of after dives, nothing special.

I haven't broken any IDAS clamps but they do indeed chew up the ends of my ball arms. Relegated to being used on Stix arms.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom