I can't ID this fish. Anyone know what it is?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the response, Frank. The Stoplight Parrotfish is a very common fish in this part of the world. I'd expect any fish ID book to have included it.

Walter:
Thanks for the response, Frank. The Stoplight Parrotfish is a very common fish in this part of the world. I'd expect any fish ID book to have included it.
What fooled me was that I could easily tell what a mature one looked like. I forgot about that juvenile stage thing that fish go through. It's tough enough IDing them when they are mature!
I knew it was a common one.. If I saw it.. it was a common one - only 11 dives so far..
I once took a class in mycology (mushrooms) and there is one category of field identification called LBM's (little brown mushrooms):huh: . There is probably a corollary in fish :)

frank_delargy:
I once took a class in mycology (mushrooms) and there is one category of field identification called LBM's (little brown mushrooms):huh: . There is probably a corollary in fish :)
"Minnows"... and of course there are "LGBs" (Little Grey Birds).
The most important thing I remember from mycology is that in North America the only reliable way to tell some of the edible ones from some of the really, really nasty ones was with a spore print, by which time you don't want to eat 'em anyway. Better to stick with the grocery store varieties :)
Rick

frank_delargy:
don't yet have Paul Humann's Reef Fish Identification book, but I am about to order it from Amazon.
Order the full set, and the behavior book too. You will not be disappointed.
Rick

I agree Rick. I have the Humann's books: Coastal Fish Cal to AK and Tropical Pacific. I purchased a set of three for Florida and the Carribbean- Reef Creature, Reef Fish & Fish Behavior. I got mine through Amazon too.

_Bella_:

Bella:
That goofy cat picture piqued my curiosity and I checked out your profile and home website. Your photos are wonderful. I went to PNG to Milne Bay. I can tell some of the pictures are from PNG - like the praying mantis and the mangrove from below water. Nice nudibranch shots also.

I LOVE my Paul Humann and Ned Deloach fish books!!!!
Frank you should definitely get them! The coral an reef creature ID's are great too. I have the whole set for the caribbean and I'm thinking I may ask for a South Pacific set for xmas.....
'course I'm a book freak so eh..................

Rick Murchison:
Order the full set, and the behavior book too. You will not be disappointed.
Rick
I ordered all 4 Carribean books from Amazon and they are on their way.
Since I'm going to dive in Vancouver Island in a couple of weeks I also bought
- Fishes of the Pacific Coast: Alaska to Peru, Including the Gulf of California and the Galapagos Islands By: Milton Love
and
- Probably More Than You Want to Know About the Fishes of the Pacific Coast By: Gar Goodson

Both seemed to be highly recommended.
From what I could gather the Pacific ones were also interesting to read as well.

_Bella_:

Thanks Bella.
That site does look helpful and is now bookmarked.
Is the web site you have referenced in your signature yours? Are you Julie?
Those are fantastic pictures and I would be really happy to get one or 2 like that!
I just bought a strobe and will be trying it out in a couple of weeks in BC. I have a low end system (Canon S1 IS with Canon case and a newly aquired Sealife SL-960D strobe) but still have high expectations.

Back
Top Bottom