I call bushwah

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kharon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In the latest issue of Scuba Diving (why I subscribed I'll never know - totally superficial) their "Scubalab" tested the Aqua Lung Core/Core Supreme regulator set. According to them (and I assume Aqua Lung) The Supreme is "rated for use in water 50 degrees below zero".

I've heard of diving under ice but never in it. For water to be liquid at -50°F it would have to be under so much pressure that a diver couldn't expand their lungs. In fact, I would bet that the diver would be compressed into a ball of mush.

This is a perfect example why I completely discount claims by manufacturers, magazines, dive shops, divers. Give me the specs.

Bushwah

But I imagine it's more of an editing problem than a testing problem. I expect it should read that the regulator is approved for use in water below 50 degrees, not 50 degrees below zero. I can't imagine any circumstances where, unless you were diving below the frozen sea on Io or Europa that you would encounter such temps, and I don't think that the technology to get us to Io or Europa is available yet. At least not for diving. Maybe for a nice fishing trip. How would you keep the beer warm, though?

Agree that this is an editing issue. It's tough to catch every little typo when publishing a review. Especially when that review is just regurgitated manufacturer ad copy.

Especially when the people writing the articles are not technical writers or engineers. N

Sometimes I wonder if some of them are even divers.

Years ago when Sport Diver was published by World Publications in Winter Park, Fl., the editor, Pierce Hoover, was a diver and most of the diving articles were written by divers. The reviews were written by staff writers that maybe were divers but probably not. Most diving mags are owned by publishers that publish multiple periodicals, so staff writers may not know the topic matter. The editor (or the assistant editor) should read the articles before publication and catch the mistakes.

Wookie. Good post, but I think instead of Io you mean one of the other icy moons.

Io is heavily volcanic and very much not icy.

I don't believe anything I read in the dive mags. Been disappointed too many times.

The equipment reviews are hyped up and the travel articles don't resemble the places being described.
I have no proof but I suspect the opinion of what is being reviewed relates to how many adverting dollars that company spends.

I do think that some of the underwater photos, however, are outstanding and that is the reason I continue to look at these mags.

This board is much better at reviewing products and places as there is no, or little, secondary agenda.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom