I bought an UWatec Digital

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mad_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all.
I bought an Uwatec digital pressure gauge that comes with the "quick" disconnect. My question is:
Do I NEED to take this to the LDS to have them install it? Those d*** guys are getting expensive. $300 for OW classes. Then an extra $110 for Cert dive weekend. Kicking me for $50 per piece of gear that I bought online (thinking it would be under Scubapro warranty) to have serviced and installed.
I kind of feel like I've been getting taken to the cleaners. Plus! They don't have a very quick turn around time. It took 2 months to get my Ocean Master Dry snorkle. In fact, it came in on the second day of my confined water class.

Can I install this thing myself? Do I need special tools? Or should I suck it up again and pay the LDS to do it?

If this question insults anyone's intelligence, I'm sorry.

Thank
Mad_Diver

I'm not familiar with the exact setup but I think if you are reasonably mechanically inclined it probably should be fairly obvious to you if you can do it yourself. If it's not, I wouldn't try it. Not meaning to insult your intelligence either but there can be a really large difference in mechanical ability between any 2 given people.

Also, if you're not familiar with general diving equipment maintenance, such as what to lube (and with what) and what not to lube, you're probably better off letting the shop do it. Maybe you can get them to do it while you wait? I can't imagine any shop not doing that for you on a guage install. Is there only one shop near you?

Tom

Originally posted by Mad_diver
Can I install this thing myself? Do I need special tools? Or should I suck it up again and pay the LDS to do it?
Impossible for me to answer the first and last questions since I don't know what your capabilities are... however I would suspect that since you have already paid to have simple stuff done that you are not capable... or at least not comfortable with basic mechanical tinkering.

Second question is very easy... no special tools are required unless you consider an open end wrench special.

I think that the best bet would be for you to pay to have someone show you how to do simple proceedures like this (we are not talking regulator rebuild here.)

Thanks for the Super quick reply!

There are two Dive shops in my vacinity. The problem is, neither one is vey close. About 1 hour away for each.

I'm pretty techinical (Network administration, musician, and theater prop designer) So I'm pretty good with tools. I guess I'm a little nervous about it, since it is Life support Equipment.

It doesn't look like it would be all that hard. I don't see any torque specs or anything though. And I don't want to over tighten anything or leave something too loose.

I usually for go the manufacture's return to maintain thing. I'm too impatient for that. So doing things for myself is kind of my motto.
I'm not intersted in screwing up my $200 pressure gauge is all.

Thanks Again. And it takes a lot insult me. so no problem there.

For what it's worth:

When I change hoses around I use the appropriate sized open end wrench (not a *scubatool*) for the hoses and the appropriate sized allen wrench for the port plugs.

I don't torque anything very tight... I just snug them down so they are tight enough not to back out... the o-ring is what does the sealing.

I try to carry spare hoses and the appropriate tools in the save dive bag for replacement on site.

Static o-rings I lube with O2 compatible spit. Dynamic o-rings get a very light touch of O2 compatible grease (Christolube or Krytox) such as the little o-rings on the HP spool at the SPG swivel and the o-rings on the end of the second stage hose.

That is what I do.

Uncle Pug,
Sounds like you've outined a good basis for me to work from. THANK YOU!
And adding the "brand Name" of the spit -lol that you use is a great help too.
See? This is the help I was looking for!

Thanks again.

I can handle this!

Mad_diver

If they offer it I would highly suggest taking an Equipment specialty course at your LDS. My wife and I recently took one and it really has helped us in perfroming basic repairs on our own gear. The course does NOT teach you how to perform the yearly service but does give you a good handle on how to keep the gear up and fix the most common problems you might run into. Part of the course is how to change out hoses, replace the most common O-rings and perform some general gear setup. One other very good part of the course was what to include in a "Save-a-Dive" kit. Our kit has already saved at least 1 dive for us (my power inflator started leaking) and thus has paid for itself. If your LDS does not have this sort of course then try to corral the tech at your LDS and get him to run you through some of the basics. There are also a couple of books on the subject.

I hadn't even thought about getting a book on maint. Scuba gear. Although it does look like the Scubapro manuals are pretty informative.
I'll have to look into it.

Thanks for your Input.

mad_diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom