I bought a new custom Bare Pro Dry drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...is there a way to service or insure the inlet valve and the exhaust valve are working properly before hand.

Those valves are pretty bombproof, and odds are, they will be completely fine. About the worst thing that can happen is you get a little grit stuck in the exhaust valve, causing it to leak a bit. A good "reverse flush" with a garden hose will generally sort that out. Having said that, in all my years of diving drysuits, I've never had an issue.

You can also seal up the openings (gloves on, zipper closed, neckseal plugged) and fully inflate the suit. That will tell you the inflator works. Eventually, the dump valve should pop as the suit gets over-pressurized. You could also spray a little soapy water around the valves and zipper (or anywhere else you want) to do a quick leak test. Nothing like a real dive though to expose any shortcomings.

If you actually want to remove the valves and service them, I know there are several youtube videos that show how to remove Apeks and DUI valves. There is a tool that comes in handy, but its not necessary. I don't recommend you do this... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Those valves are pretty bombproof, and odds are, they will be completely fine. About the worst thing that can happen is you get a little grit stuck in the exhaust valve, causing it to leak a bit. A good "reverse flush" with a garden hose will generally sort that out. Having said that, in all my years of diving drysuits, I've never had an issue.

You can also seal up the openings (gloves on, zipper closed, neckseal plugged) and fully inflate the suit. That will tell you the inflator works. Eventually, the dump valve should pop as the suit gets over-pressurized. You could also spray a little soapy water around the valves and zipper (or anywhere else you want) to do a quick leak test. Nothing like a real dive though to expose any shortcomings.

If you actually want to remove the valves and service them, I know there are several youtube videos that show how to remove Apeks and DUI valves. There is a tool that comes in handy, but its not necessary. I don't recommend you do this... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Thank you for responding to my post I know the diver that sold it to me and he’s very particular looking after his gear so I’m going to test it at home with the way you described and check it out in the pool before my lake dive in the spring. 👍

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom