I bought a new custom Bare Pro Dry drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Ed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I bought a new custom Bare Pro Dry but I haven’t read any reviews on this particular model of Bare drysuits. The reason I bought this model was the dive store where I purchased it tried to sell me the C-Mission Evolution which I could not afford, so instead I bought the Pro Dry suit, which in my opinion, was not cheap.

As far as I can tell the only difference between Bare Tech Dry and Bare Pro Dry is the tech dry zip's in the front and pro dry zip’s in the back. Other than that they are similar.

I read in another post that Bare drysuits leak? I don’t know what condition the suit’s were in that may have contributed to the leakage, however, hopefully the topic was not in reference to new Bare drysuits.

Any thoughts about Bare Pro Dry drysuits?

Bare has several models with "PRO" in the name. As you mention it just means "Back Zip"

I've got an XCS2 Tech and after around 200 dives it developed a leak at the docking end of the zipper. I got the zipper replaced and no more leaks.

Lesson learned - I'm now much more careful with the zipper. My theory is I zipped it up a few times with sand or dirt stuck to the teeth thus damaging it. I now carefully inspect and wipe it after each dive. I regularly do shore dives and pick up a lot of sand and dirt on the gear when changing after the dive.

But in general I love my drysuit. The fit is perfect, and having your own gear always feel better than using different rental gear each dive.

Gf had the XCS2 suit and loved it until it began leaking from the seams. After two attempts at factory repair, Bare replaced it for free with the new Tech Dry. She’s very happy and dry with it so far.

Interesting “pro” meaning back zip. For conveince, I wish I bought the Tech Dry.

Wondering? I did not opt to have pockets made from Bare trilam Pro Dry manufacturer, any suggestion for make shift pockets as a belt or BCD clipon?

For clarity, Gf did have xcs2 pro backzip.

If I understand correctly, you did not get thigh pockets but want something similar. I’d look at a bellows pocket. There are several available from different companies that come in different configurations… horizontal, vertical, zippers, Velcro, w/ tri glide, weighted, etc. They tend to be similar in size to the thigh pockets so keep that in mind as they occupy a lot of ”real estate” on your belt.

I read in another post that Bare drysuits leak? I don’t know what condition the suit’s were in that may have contributed to the leakage, however, hopefully the topic was not in reference to new Bare drysuits.

No drysuit from any manufacturer should leak when new. All drysuits from all manufacturers will eventually leak and require repair as they wear. Look around enough and you will find someone talking trash about any brand. For example, I have heard people say DUI means "Dry Until Immersed."

My first drysuit was a Whites Fusion, one of the first they ever made. It seemed to spring a new leak about every 5th or 6th wearing (probably an exaggeration). I didn't wear it all that much, though, because the dive shop gave me a loaner when it did, and it always took them a long time to repair the leak in my original. I probably did 5 dives on the loaner for every dive I did on my original. The loaner was the exact same model suit, but I never had a single leak with it. I eventually sold the original suit, and the person who bought it never had a problem with it.

Six years ago I bought a new and extremely expensive suit (won't mention the brand). For 4 years I never had a single leak of any kind. Then I started to have a problem with a leak in the shoulder. I sent it in, and it came back with the note that there was no leak detected in the shoulder. I got in the water and immediately felt the water coming in the shoulder. This resulted in an angry exchange with the repair shop. I sent it back, and a hyper careful check found the shoulder leak and a bunch of other miniscule leaks. I have not had a problem with it since.

In recent years, and in my experience, literally every brand of drysuit will leak at some point. Everybody here dives "dry" and everyone gets wet someplace, sometime. I have friends that dive in DUI's, Bare, SANTI, ScubaPro, O'Three etc. Plastic zippers always suck and seem to have a life expectancy that's a fraction of what a metal zipper is, yet they cost about the same. Yes, they're more flexible, but that's the only advantage to the user I can see. I suspect that they cost manufacturers a fraction of what the metal zippers do, so that's why they're so widely used... they add to the bottom line.

I used to dive Vikings... they were 100% dry for many 100's of dives. I still have an almost new one, but they're so bulky relative my a tri-lam suits that I haven't worn it in some time.

As for the Bare suits, I always considered them good value for money, but I thing they have also gone downhill in recent years. I've heard good things about WaterProof suits but anyone I know that dives one is a dealer because I think they're the only ones that can afford them as they're roughly the same price as a Volvo.

Where most dive gear has become better and better over the years, drysuits seem to have gotten worse. On top of them, they've become so expensive it's ridiculous. I mean you can buy a used car for less.

I wear a SANTI eMotion. It's comfortable and fits well, but I am NEVER 100% dry. The plastic zipper routinely leaks near the base regardless of whether I lube it or not.

I've been diving drysuits for 45 years and my best advise is to stick with a more basic, less expensive suit because they literally all suck butt but you'll feel better about getting soaked in a $1500 suit than you will in a $3500 suit.

I've been diving drysuits for 45 years and my best advise is to stick with a more basic, less expensive suit because they literally all suck butt but you'll feel better about getting soaked in a $1500 suit than you will in a $3500 suit.
ha! great advice.

I purchased a Bare neoprene super dry drysuit its 6 years old in excellent shape has Marigold docking rings on the cuffs.The diver said it was used last year and there were no leaks and the cuff seals and the neck seal were replaced on it. I don’t want to take it in for a leak test since I’ll be in the pool in about 2-3 weeks to try it out is there a way to service or insure the inlet valve and the exhaust valve are working properly before hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom