I am cold!! Any ideas? (Drysuit diving)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What gloves are you using? Hood/Socks? A lot of drysuit divers I have met that have been cold coincidentally also tend to be he oens who wear wetsuit gloves. I know people don't like drysuit gloves because fo the bulk, but everyone I've met that finally converted decided that dry warm and slightly clumsy is better then cold, miserable wet and short dives. The wetsuit gloves really aren't that much more dexterous underwater in actuality once the gloves compress down to be more form fitting.

We frequently dive in 40F waters so with circulation problems I know how you feel!

I recently upgraded to the DUI 400G Thinsulate jumpsuit and booties and am MUCH happier and warmer these days! My first undergarments were rated for 40F water, but they just didn't cut it.

I wear a thin wicking sock plus a mid-weight fleece sock under the booties since my feet are so bad. I've found that a good layer of moisture-wicking polypropylene is beneficial. I'm now wearing Under Armour Cold Gear for Women. It has a nice outer finish that allows garments to slide on/off. It is a bit expensive at $50 USD a piece, but what price comfort??

Dry gloves are a bonus.

You can use disposable heat packs/hand warmers in colder areas.

Also, if you can at least flush out the air in your drysuit with Argon before each dive you will stay warmer.

http://www.fa-mi.com/
Those guys have some sort of elctrical heater, maybe it helps...
Also I dive usually in 4 to 12 Celsius water, After half an hour I have to admit, it starts to get cold down there, I use normaly thermic underclothes like odlo or similar plus a thinsulate jumpsuit and my trilam drysuit.
A thing that helps is a good hoodn and drygloves, under mines I put a pile glove from patagonia (alpinism bs) and it helps a lot.

>You can use disposable heat packs/hand warmers in colder
>areas.

I'd been wondering about the use of chemical hand warmers and toe warmers, like the ones I use when snowskiing. My fingers and toes overreact to cold (Raynaud's phenomenon). Even with dry gloves/liners, they shut down if I'm in 50degree water for more than about 45 minutes.

Has anyone used these?

skynscuba once bubbled...
>You can use disposable heat packs/hand warmers in colder
>areas.

I'd been wondering about the use of chemical hand warmers and toe warmers, like the ones I use when snowskiing. My fingers and toes overreact to cold (Raynaud's phenomenon). Even with dry gloves/liners, they shut down if I'm in 50degree water for more than about 45 minutes.

Has anyone used these?

I have Reynaud's and THEY'RE GREAT! I have several in every size. WalMart carries them in multi-paks. The toe warmers are especially nice but you have to put them inside any thick socks, but not directly next to your skin.

I've found that they need a good 20 minutes of exposure to air before they get cookin' so I open the hand warmers and throw them into my drygloves to pre-heat them.

If you use Nitrox as your drysuit inflation gas they will get REALLY hot! Conversely, if you use argon they will not work at all as they require oxygen for the exothermic (heat) reaction.

Beck_narco_diver once bubbled...
And a key thing, wear nothing but your underwear under your undersuit, unless u wear your old undersuit under your weasle, anything else will counter the effect of the undersuit

That makes absolutely no sense. Wearing more means more insulation which equals warmer. What you need to make sure of is that the layer touching your skin is moisture wicking, so when you sweat (or leak), the water is pulled away from your skin.

Wearing a fleece or polypropo underwear underneath the suit may help you. I wear $15 polypropo top and bottom underneath everything and it really helps a bunch.

You are Sweedish and you're not using a Poseidon suit??!!!

Where is your national pride??

You need a lot of air to insulate a Weezle undersuit-that's why I bought a Bare.

A 7mm. Unisuit would help too. But I don't think they make enough ballast to keep a diver down with a Unisuit and a Weezle undergarment on too...hahahah.

buff once bubbled...
You need a lot of air to insulate a Weezle undersuit-that's why I bought a Bare.

You mean you bought a Bare undersuit or a Bare drysuit to solve this problem? Do you have the CT200? How warm is it?

I just got it and haven't worn it yet this year-working all the time.

But.

As a Minnesotan and having been exposed to severe cold and its necessary clothing I can say that this thing looks great.

It is much like a snowmobile suit. It has a durable outer coating.

Lost Yooper(once on this board) dives the U.P. of Michigan(cold) and he bought the CT100 and he said that he gets HOT while doing a surface swim to the boat from a dive. He has a 2mm compressed neo. dry suit.

I have a Northern Divers 2mm. compressed neo suit. With the Bare CT200 and the dry suit I can't imagine being cold-at least I hope I have to imagine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom