I am a new diver and have few questions about underwater photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hummari

Registered
Reaction score
I am new to diving and underwater photography. I have few questions that I hope you all can answer.
First, I got camera that I have not used for a long time, Nikon Coolpix 8800 and I wanted to know if this camera is something that I can use for underwater photography or should I buy me a new camera.

Second if this camera is ok for underwater photography, which of the following housing are best for it. There couple that are available for this camera as you can see.

List of underwater housings that turn the Nikon Coolpix 8800 into an underwater camera

Third, what else do I need to start underwater photography? Do I need strobes or other equipment?

Welcome to the board.
You are really going to want a good strobe but I would like to suggest another "item" to get first. Being a new diver you really need to spend some time learning to dive. You should have the basic skills but the task loading and the required buoyancy skills an uw photog require are more than a new diver can handle safely. I totally understand your desire to take photos of what you see and share them with others, I spend lots of hours do so but if you are like most of us at your stage of diving, you are still in the wide eyed excitement stage of diving. To handle a camera safely you need instinctive buoyancy, you should "know" what your air pressure is without looking and that of your buddies as well. These skills require bottom time and practice. Become a great diver first, then becoming a great uw photog is a lot easier and a whole lot safer.

Looks like a great camera. It has all the right qualities for underwater photography, including RAW mode (NEF), full manual operation, ittl flash, hotshoe. Unfortunately, cameras become outdated very quickly these days. When your camera was new, in 2005 there were several housings available. A quick Google search yielded exactly one vendor selling one model Fantasea CP8-N from an outfit called PhotoPro in Europe at a steep $689 Euros. The Ikelite is discontinued and as far as I can see so is the Fantasea. Other downside, this is a big camera with a big housing-expensive from all suppliers when it was available. You can probably get a Canon G-9 which is the current equivalent, but smaller and probably faster as well plus any of several housings for the price of the housing for your camera. See the Canon forum for G-9 housing info. If you're interested in high quality underwater pictures, you will want a strobe as well. Figure on $600-$800 for a good one. If you want to stay with Nikon, there are several current models with housings available.

Yes, CP8 is discontinued. I wouldn't house such an old camera. The Nikon P5100 is attractively priced, or you might want to wait for the new P6000. I heard he G9 was discontinued as well.

I have an article here on my blog on getting started in uw photography.

Jack

I am new to diving and underwater photography. I have Third, what else do I need to start underwater photography? Do I need strobes or other equipment?

get yourself a good book on underwater critters (Marine Fish & Invertebrates of Northern Europe FE Moen & E Svensen is my recommendation) learn about their habitats & behavour then you know what to look for where. Iceland - crystal clear water & those lovely soft corals:)

and go diving - the more you practice the luckier you get.

Back
Top Bottom