I always thought Stuart Cove's was a resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fairybasslet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
But after looking into it more because we're planning on going shark diving in the Bahamas, I see it's more like a travel service? This is kind of confusing. Any suggestions on a good place to stay?

I've stayed in Orange Hill before when diving on Nassau with Stuart Cove. Last time I rented a little two-bed house complete with Jeep Wrangler and it worked out cheaper than a hotel! I'll see if I can find the details...

Mark

But after looking into it more because we're planning on going shark diving in the Bahamas, I see it's more like a travel service? This is kind of confusing.

they aren't a resort, but a dive charter operator. pretty much the main operator for Nassau.

they have a mini bus that goes around and picks up at each of the hotels every day... check out their website and you'll see the schedule.

I think there is a hotel right next to their operation. but I can't remember the name of it. maybe someone else can. I can remember it had questionable reviews.

Thanks Mike & Mark. So you have to schlep your gear on a bus?

Mike, there used to be a big hotel complex right next door, which was very handy, but the service was dire and it shut down a few years ago. Last time I was on-island, it was all locked up and abandoned. A real shame no one else stepped in to pick up the pieces.

So yes, you have to take your kit on a bus, unless you have a hire car and drive down to Stuart's, in which case you only have to lift it out of your boot and carry it round to the dockside.

Mark

With regard to Coves, yeah they are about the best here. The hotel nearby was prolly South Ocean Resort and has been closed for a while now. Tiger Woods is knocking it down for the new Albany project (not all on his own!)

In order of expense (as i understand it), Sheraton and Wyndham hotels are on Cable Beach and the furthest of the usual suspects. I've heard only good things about Orange Hill which is again, on the north coast but considerably closer to Coves. The (newly recon'd) Land Shark hotel used to have a rep for cheap, utilitarian rooms and reasonable service.

See the link below for some info on the small house idea. (This would suit me best!)
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bahamas/276585-nassau-accommodation.html

Other ideas include:- The stone's throw, a very pretty and exclusive hotel just west of Orange Hill and Doran's hotel just inland from the south coast, on Carmichael Road. There's also a hotel in Coral Harbor that i could track down if it helps?
The Stuart Cove buses should be able/willing to pick you up from any of the above with prior arrangement. Please note there are LOADS of hotels etc here. I just picked the usual Scuba haunts!

When you get to Coves try the "Ray of Hope" wreck. it's my favorite and i'd say the best site. They often feed the sharks near here so it's normally got 10-20 reef sharks cruising about. There's the wall (deep here), Bahama Mama (another wreck), normally two large Goliath grouper that (if they're in the mood) you can pet/play with. Last Sunday a Logger head easily 4' across the shell and this Sunday just past, a large pair of Cobia 40-50 Lbs, (are they called?)40-50 Lbs and a 5' Barracuda. Beats Church!
FYI They had a crew from "shark week" around the dock, with "Survivorman" too!

When we were there last May, our group stayed at the Orange Hill Inn. Nothing special but adequate. Pool on site, restaurant with limited changing menu ever night. Stuart's runs several bus's to all the major hotels including the Atlantis, Orange Hill, Wyndam and others. There 25 passenger buses pick you up in front of your hotel and drop you off at Stuart's Cove where you check-in, get your boat assignments and rent your gear if your too lazy to carry your own. They run a great shark feed. You can see videos of our shark feed with them last year here If you don't want to carry your gear from your room to the front of the hotel and then from the bus to the boat (50 feet) then maybe your too lazy to actually get in the water and dive.:shakehead:

When we were there last May, our group stayed at the Orange Hill Inn. Nothing special but adequate. Pool on site, restaurant with limited changing menu ever night. Stuart's runs several bus's to all the major hotels including the Atlantis, Orange Hill, Wyndam and others. There 25 passenger buses pick you up in front of your hotel and drop you off at Stuart's Cove where you check-in, get your boat assignments and rent your gear if your too lazy to carry your own. They run a great shark feed. You can see videos of our shark feed with them last year here If you don't want to carry your gear from your room to the front of the hotel and then from the bus to the boat (50 feet) then maybe your too lazy to actually get in the water and dive.:shakehead:

:rofl3: Well, I admit I'm lazy but never too lazy to dive. I just hate schlepping stuff. In Cozumel, we had to schlep stuff every day, including weights. Add camera gear to that...and it becomes a not-too-relaxing vacation.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

We stayed at Orange Hill while we were there last april, and I'll agree. Nothing special, but enough to eat and the rooms are quiet and comfortable. Coves does a nice job of getting you in the water and keeping an eye on everyone.

Coves also have a kit room for guests use. it's not that secure but in my three years here i've never heard of stuff actually going missing. maybe getting used "accidentally" but not stolen.
I'd leave my BC or BP/W: wetty etc but never regs: comp when i did the DMT and had no trouble for three months.

I don't know what schlep means, but i can only think that it makes you really lazy and bad!
I wonder that you don't even show up on enemy radar!

Hope you have a good trip (you bad lady!).:no:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom