hyperoxic myopia in commercial diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
My husband is a comm. diver and has been for 25 years. He is 49 years old and this past year has experienced significant deterioration of distance vision after jobs of any length. THis subsides after he is home for several days. Can this result in permanent damage. Should we be concerned. Regards Lesli

Hello charisma:

Difficulty with distance vision is common among patients undergoing hyperbaric oxygen therapy. I have not heard of it with divers, but I suppose it can happen. I am not aware of any long-term problems.

I hope that some of the medical monitors will comment on this post.

Dr Deco :doctor:

<Difficulty with distance vision is common among patients undergoing hyperbaric oxygen therapy. I have not heard of it with divers, but I suppose it can happen. I am not aware of any long-term problems.

I hope that some of the medical monitors will comment on this post.>

Thanks for the reply. Commercial divers routinely use a deco procedure know as sur"D" O2. The diver completes enough of the deco in water to remain asymptomatic during his sprint to the chamber. The bulk of the deco is done at 50' & 40' in the chamber on pure O2, so the diver is undergoing hyperbaric O2 therapy everyday sometimes twice. Add that to the 50/50 breathed on the water stops + the exposure of the dive itself......thats a lot of O2. I've read in one source there is a possibility of cataract formation. I recently had my vision checked by an ophthalmologist and my vision was 20/20. I've just come off a 3 week job and my vision was checked at a physician's office today and was 20/60..hence my concern.
Thanks for your input.

There is an article on hyperoxic induced myopia in Immersed Vol 8 #2 (summer 2003). In a nutshell, high PPO2
exposure over a prolonged period (e.g. hyperbaric oxygen therapy in a chamber or a closed-circuit rebreather
with a high PO2 set-point) can produce myopia which usually resolves in 3-6 weeks.

The article doesn't address the potential for permanent myopia; perhaps one of the several referenced articles does.

best -

gkn

This is exactly the article I was looking for - see the thread nitrox and the lost of sight. I would be very grateful if you scan it for me and send by email? Please, I simply can't find this issue - must have lost it when was moving
Mania
(mbnin@onet.pl)

Dang... 49 & still diving commercially. The Army Corps of Engineers retires their divers at age 38; most other places at 40.
I managed to keep lying my way through the physicals 'till I was in the 50s, but that was inland/inshore diving where deco wasn't usually needed.
Hats off to the lad.

gkndivebum:
There is an article on hyperoxic induced myopia in Immersed Vol 8 #2 (summer 2003). In a nutshell, high PPO2
exposure over a prolonged period (e.g. hyperbaric oxygen therapy in a chamber or a closed-circuit rebreather
with a high PO2 set-point) can produce myopia which usually resolves in 3-6 weeks.

The article doesn't address the potential for permanent myopia; perhaps one of the several referenced articles does.

best -

gkn
Thanks so much. I appreciate your insightful comments. Kind regards.

Bob3:
Dang... 49 & still diving commercially. The Army Corps of Engineers retires their divers at age 38; most other places at 40.
I managed to keep lying my way through the physicals 'till I was in the 50s, but that was inland/inshore diving where deco wasn't usually needed.
Hats off to the lad.
well, I of course think he is SUPERMAN. If you have worked in the commercial field you know the salary is not commensurate with the responsibilities placed on the Supervisor.

Back
Top Bottom