Hyperbaric treatment for brain injury and strokes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FYI - Dr. Efrati has a clinic in Florida. here in a link to his website. Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment - HBOT - The science behind
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) has a history that created a problem with credibility in the Medical community back in the 30's. We still live with that. There is also very little funding for research that will allow researchers to study the use of HBOT with other indications. Most medical student get less that 3 hours of exposure to what HBOT is. Unless you are studying in an institution that has a HBOT department, it would be very unlikely that you would know anything about it. I have been a Certified Hyperbaric Technologist (CHT) since 2009. I have worked in Hyperbaric and Hypobaric research dives at the Mayo Clinic (2009-2014).

Here in Ontario, the government health plan( Ontario Health Insurance Plan)covers the oxygen(as the drug being prescribed) for 14 conditions for HBOT. It doesn't cover the facility or staff costs; the clinic where I administer HBOT is run as a charity and relies entirely on donations.

Here's a list of the conditions covered by OHIP: OHIP Covered HBOT | Ontario Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy | Toronto

1. Decompression sickness
  2. Air or gas embolism
  3. Arterial Insufficiencies:
    • Selected Problem Wounds
      (Diabetic ulcers)
    • Central Retinal Artery Occlusion
      (sudden blindness)
  4. Osteomyelitis (bone infections)
  5. Delayed Radiation Injuries
  6. Compromised grafts and flaps
  7. Sudden hearing loss
  8. Crush injuries
  9. Acute thermal burns
  10. Carbon monoxide poisoning
  11. Gas gangrene
  12. Necrotizing soft tissue infections
    (flesh-eating disease)
  13. Severe anemia
  14. Intracranial abscess
Strokes, etc are not covered...

I said I would post again. Months on, I still have problems, particularly with processing audio. ie if you ask me a direct question there is a delay in response. Sadly this looks like deceit or obstruction. The dishonest, slidy pause. I have to tell people that it is not that. I have had an assessment and fortunately my eyes and memory brain links are fine. I just wish I could find someone who can test my reactions to orders/questions held up on a placard against orders or questions delivered verbally. Even would you like a cup of coffee?!!!

Hyperbaric therapy helped, but too little too late for me

Conclusion - if you have a concussion, or a stroke no mater how mild - get yourself down to 30 metres in a hyperbaric chamber as soon as possible.

Also, at the small chamber (3 metres) I went to, they were having considerable success with people recovering from Covid or experiencing long Covd. And Cancer.
What blend of o2 would you expect to be breathing at 30 meters?

What blend of o2 would you expect to be breathing at 30 meters?
First of all - major thanks to the posts here. They have been most helpful and also effective in corroborating my recommendations to friends who have had a variety of problems.

Blend of O2 at 30 M - in the chamber it was pure oxygen.

Sadly the local hyperbaric chamber (charity funded) has closed. There is no funding for hyperbaric treatment on the National Health Service in the UK. Given the success the local chamber had with MS, cancer, long covid, brain injury, etc etc etc etc, this is a totally depressing situation.

Well done to the US and Canada for their acknowledgement of the effectiveness of this non-drug, non-invasive treatment - that works.

Please everyone - spread the word.

1694453628265.png

Back
Top Bottom