Hyperbaric Chamber Question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That doesn't make sense to me. Please explain. So basically a Navy diver is surface supplied, and his umbilical breaks from the compressor. Where did the suction occur? Am I missing something?

Ok, I just watched the Mythbusters. The video is completely bs. For a multitude of reasons. YouTube - Mythbusters - Compresed Diver *Gory*

It was do to the pressure at depth pushing the air, water and anything else to the surface. If you watched it you would have seen the myth proven on camera.

I assume you're asking about: "1000 Ways to Die - Tanked Girl #710."

We've done this one before, there's a whole thread on it. My opinion is that, from what I know about chamber design, it is not possible ... the doors of treatment chambers are sealed by the pressure and can not be opened unless the chamber is surfaced first. It's a fraud.

i think you are right. i did my service time in submarines. you learn real quick that a door will not open with a 1 lb differential across the door. with the preasure side closing the door it will not open. with the preasure side opening the door dont get in ites way when it gets loose. chambers use preasure closing the door as far is i know. safety by design. i am sure you can vent down too quickly and cause big time problems with the patient but open a door i dont thik so. at least not the ones i have been in. all 2 of them. BTW training not from being bent.

here is a link you can see the door opens to the preasure side of the chamber.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW9c53nvSzk

Last edited:
agree completely
I too am a chamber operator. You can't open the door with even a little bit of depth. Imagine you are at 20'. What's the pressure per square inch at 20'? 20 x .445 = ?

Now, the size of the hatch on the chambers I used were probably 24" - 30" in diameter. So, what's the area of a 30" circle? So Area = Pie x R(squared)

3.14 x 15 x 15 = Radius

706 square inches, x pressure at 20'
706 x 8.9 = 6283.4lbs of pressure to pull that door open at 20'

Even with the ball valves full open, you'd still survive, if you didn't get bent. Not that it was bright or encouraged, but when I first started, I watched as the "seasoned professionals" would take people down absolutely as fast as they could clear their ears, and bring them up as fast as we could vent the ball valves. Never saw any blood spatter.

I realize we were going up not down and that the change in pressure from air is more gradual than water, but we used to do rapid decompressions in the chamber to simulate a hull breach at altitude and my head is still in one piece! :shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom